Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K-Pop

"tbf, I can't stand the sound of the Korean language"
    I think that the language is the most interesting thing about it, it sounds so different from English it makes the whole thing really alien.
    There's a band called f(x)? Sounds as though they're a bit more intelligent than the uk bands in the naming stakes.

I'm interested to see how hipsters will react to kpop now Pitchfork has told them it's ok to like it - and how Kpop will be changed by it's increasingly worldwide presence. Personally I have plenty of respect for anyone who can create well crafted pop and the S. Koreans seem to have the formula down atm.

Last edited by Trillhouse; 07-11-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Crowley that stuff is the best! i love reading that shit...seriously i look for fandom blogs and forums its such a weird subculture...obssesion and sex fantasy and shit like that...its huge in kpop but its a lot like drake fangirls i think. its so uncomfortable to read but entertaining at the same time

on another note i remember reading through this thread a while ago kinda gives an idea of the fan culture
    http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0
    Last edited by chow11; 07-11-2011 at 03:40 PM.

In Korea they have 'anti' fans, who hate on kpop acts as fervently as the most obsessive normal fan. They seem to dedicate their life spewing bile and hatred, and generally being bitchy towards idols.

This blog is amusing and disturbing in parts. http://antikpopfangirl.blogspot.com/ But the time and dedication they put in to hating on something is bewildering to the point of being pathetic.
    Last edited by Trillhouse; 07-11-2011 at 04:07 PM.

@Chow; Man, I'll send you the links to her two tumblrs right now. She's an absolute genius.

@Trillhouse; I mean, is it no worse than typical Western loathing of one's pop groups?

thanks for this thread. we enjoyed a few of these videos very much! (and not only the 13 year old girl here)

Quote Originally Posted by Pandiculate View Post
    Yeah I think it's more the circles I've been round in recently. There are lots of girls that know their bands. Still never found anyone who thinks much of dance music though, beyond kind of liking house.

The girls I live with just have constant hardons for K-pop groups, they watch their DVDs of concerts and make wierd noises
    come to berlin i can introduce you to a few super cute asian girls that know more about Post Dubstep, Future Garage, and Juke than you...

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    @Trillhouse; I mean, is it no worse than typical Western loathing of one's pop groups?
    In some ways it's a similar culture to the Perez Hilton type bloggers who'll bitch about the latest celebutard, calling them fat or what ever. Or the internet campaign to fuck with Justin Beaver. But in Kpop it seems to be an accepted, acknowledged and organised part of the pop industry.

Fans of most of the popular kpop groups will give themselves a collective name and form themselves into a kinda 'fan gang'. They'll will often collectively turn on other groups/idols and their fans. Just like it's not enough to support Spurs, you have to hate Arsenal as well.
    Anti's range from harmless people who don't like you, or your music, to those who'll go well out of their way to let you know they hate you. They will obsess, even stalk, idols - in the same way as teenage girls the world over - but they do it cause they hate said idol.
    It has even been known for rival fans to get violent towards each other. But they'll more likely try to fuck with each other in other ways, like trying to disrupt other groups concerts.
    The really obsessive ones will do some pretty heinous stuff; physically attacking idols, sending them bags of blood, or even trying poison them. It also occasional takes on a racial element, and they will deliberately target the Chinese member of a group, or some Japanese will just hate kpop acts because they're Korean. There was a manga released in Japan calling SNSD & Kara cockroaches and saying they should be kicked out of the country.

I imagine Western fans are quite capable of the same levels of crazy, so maybe it's just a different flavour of crazy.
    Last edited by Trillhouse; 07-11-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    In Korea they have 'anti' fans, who hate on kpop acts as fervently as the most obsessive normal fan. They seem to dedicate their life spewing bile and hatred, and generally being bitchy towards idols.
    yeah i mean i dont really know that much about the industry but aparently the pop charts are dominated by sm entertainment so its almost like a "corporation"/mainstream backlash...and also the hate probably will come as a response to the asiaphile americans who are obsessed-the entire concept of weeabo in japan n such

i dont even enjoy the music that much...a lot of the songs dont even have that great of hooks (maybe its because i dont understand korean) but the culture is very entertaining especially on the american side of things

Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    I'm interested to see how hipsters will react to kpop now Pitchfork has told them it's ok to like it...
    http://pitchfork.com/forkcast/16180-...our-catsi-mix/

*rolls eyes*

A 2-page thread? Pah, Popjustice has a whole damn sub-forum for K-Pop which is bewilderingly exhaustive (1437 pages just on general K-Pop discussion, let alone individual artist threads). I haven't read it, mind, but Popjustice is very well informed in its chosen fields. Probably worth a look:

K-Pop thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    This stuff really fucking bugs me but maybe because I'm just jealous that I didn't get to capitalise on this shit before they did.

EDIT: eg, see my post earlier in this thread.

This is going global it seems.......

Quote Originally Posted by comelately View Post

This is going global it seems.......
    rightly so.

this is massive on the thai karaoke circuit
    rap game hard but the dope game crazy

need more eye candy please!