Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K-Pop

Not really familiar with a lot of K-pop, but I do like this track:

I have mixed reactions to the video though. On the one hand, it's almost irresistably charming in its naivete. On the other, I have no idea how old the girls in Perfume are but I can't help but feel like I'm watching something specifically meant for 12 year old girls and that makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't know.

I have significantly less confused feelings about Hyuna.

Well, Perfume's from Japan, and if my memory serves, they're all adults... Legit enough complaint though, I assume.

Exclamation

Yup, Perfume are Japanese and in their early 20s. AKB48 are a pretty interesting Jpop phenomenon, they have 60+ members who perform daily in their own theater. Although their ages range from early teens to mid twenties, so they're questionable eye candy, not that that seems to bother the Japanese.

Back to the Korean pop.

Secret - 'Poison'. Seems to me the producer had been listening to Ameri & Beyonce. Secret have been around a few years, they're don't seem to have the biggest fan base, but their first lp sold a shit load in Korea.

Afterschool - Flashback. definitely an eye candy group, they go for the sexy rather than cute look.

Hello Venus - Venus. a fine example of the cute approach, they only just debuted but are already pretty popular. Koreans seem kinda obsessed with the word "venus" despite the fact that a lot of them struggle with pronouncing 'V's commonly replacing them with 'P's.

Glam - Party(XXO). Another new group, this one is put together by the same company as the Wonder Girls. There were about 60 new acts, groups and sub-groups in 2011, the trend has continued in 2012 with an additional 70.

Sistar - Alone. This was a big hit for Sistar this year, propelling them into the upper echelons of kpop girl groups. They've only been around a few years but that kinda makes them veterans. The lead singer Hyorin has imho one of the best voices in kpop.

Spica - Painkiller. Another new group for 2012, put together around Boa (the one with short red hair) who used to be a vocal coach for other acts. They're one of the few female kpop groups who really focus on the singing, with all members having strong voices.

2NE1 - I love you. Label mates of Psy & Big Bang, and one of the biggest girl groups in Korea. They're currently dipping their toe into the US market with a small tour. Radio 1 played this song once, and Edith Bowmen kinda slated it - seems Radio 1 is too cool for straight up pop these days. They're meant to be bringing out a English language lp produced by Wil.i.am.

That's probably enough for now.
    Last edited by Trillhouse; 20-09-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comelately View Post

This is going global it seems.......
    was dancing to this with a bunch of Thai GoGo girls the other day, good times
    rap game hard but the dope game crazy

The dance has inspired a host of parodies, the song has hit the top of the charts in South Korea, Malaysia, Finland and Latvia, and the YouTube video has accumulated more than 227m views. Now, according to Thai media, Gangnam Style, by the K-pop star Psy, has inspired a West Side Story-esque show of rivalry between two Bangkok gangs who are said to have had a dance-off before engaging in a gun battle.

The INN website reported that the two gangs were dining in the same restaurant when "the younger members of both groups danced provocatively at each other in the manner of top hit Gangnam Style". The dance-off escalated into an argument and, eventually, a gun attack in the upmarket Ekkamai neighbourhood, in which one of the gangs fired at least 50 bullets from a carbine and an 11mm gun.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ootout-bangkok

Gunman style!

I think I read somewhere that the producer Sophie is heavily influenced by K-Pop, or was it aiming for more of a kawaii j-pop? Or maybe its all a smokescreen to get some kind of mysterious aura around the producer. Either way he has a new clip on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/pcmus/drinkqt/s-OABoz

Oh god it's really been 7 years of getting into this for me. Yikes.

V. infuriating how the best R&B Group in the world being allowed to be promoted is a South Korean one but the world is confounding.

This one produced by kids from London, hence the garagey sound

Same producers did this one

Want luka to dare to tackle this vid, as long as he's not afraid of the mind gangsterism.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

crowl, please could you give us one of your long posts about k-pop.

im assuming this is going to be terrifying and give me nightmares but here goes...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    crowl, please could you give us one of your long posts about k-pop.
    I don't have the knowledge for that and I don't want it! The people who get the knowledge tend to be obsessive and abrasive about their knowledge. It's better just to gauge things in the dives. Just bear witness to the tunes. The experts will try to tell you some useless group with half a single is cutting the edge of music while they go get drunk with record execs on their personal time while vacationing in Seoul on Daddy's Dime.