Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K-Pop

Default K-Pop

Disclaimer: I got put onto a lot of this by Elite Gymnastics mixes, (which somehow they've turned into a Pitchfork article) but holy shit... K-Pop is on some other shit these days.

Granted, a majority of the production isn't anything 'inventive', it's the same shlock pouring out of the West... But something between the overly stylized videos and the dramatic quality of the records almost makes them seem like a different league. Plus every so often, there's a tune that's really fucking brutal.

that snsd girls generation song is nice, albeit in a pretty generic way. tbf, I can't stand the sound of the Korean language, so the 4 other one's which I can watch (the rest being blocked) irritate me.
    Last edited by e/y; 06-11-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanroberto View Post
    how many threads have you had shut down?

I'm surprised we get the videos but you guys don't. Maybe it's the substantial Korean immigrant population...

A few pop culture bloggers, Perez Hilton in particular, have become obsessed with this stuff. Rain made himself into one of the most googled people on the entire internet a few years ago. The market is all of East Asia for this stuff, they get cute girls to dance and sing and get tons of internet hits. No shortage of western nerd obsession over the asian girls:

Quote Originally Posted by e/y View Post
    that snsd girls generation song is nice, albeit in a pretty generic way. tbf, I can't stand the sound of the Korean language, so the 4 other one's which I can watch (the rest being blocked) irritate me.
    Isn't the majority of this stuff sang in Japanese though?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Isn't the majority of this stuff sang in Japanese though?
    K-pop isn't sang in Japanese, J-pop is sang in Japanese. They both use English terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandiculate View Post
    K-pop isn't sang in Japanese, J-pop is sang in Japanese. .
    ok, but I was just going off this article which says they sing in Japanese in order to appeal to their fans there. I personally wouldn't be able to tell the difference: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...on?INTCMP=SRCH

At first I thought K-Pop meant ketamine-pop.

No offense, coz I can appreciate this stuff even if it is pretty awful (awful is good sometimes!)

Ketamine-pop would be more interesting sometimes.

Would be fun to fuck this shit up even more though.

kpop is a response to fandom....I recently started folowing a lot of kpop tumblrs out of curiosity and there are thousands of them, and they all have gifs of their favorite groups every television appearance, and there are entire reality tv shows built around them...Like one of them was a mock olympics for kpop superstars. Right now in america i think the majority of people who know about kpop are the super obssesed fans, and this shared obseesion is sortof the basis of fandom in any aspect. but the groups are like the idea of a pop star magnified to the extreme...they are all super perfect boys and girls and there are tons of them, and the music videos...everything is basically made for peopel to consume and idolize

This is frikkin everywhere in Tokyo ... has been for a little while. So glad I don't own a TV. . but it's sneaking into clubs blahhhh

Anyway.. enjoy the earworm.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    ok, but I was just going off this article which says they sing in Japanese in order to appeal to their fans there. I personally wouldn't be able to tell the difference: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...on?INTCMP=SRCH
    Ah yeah they do Japanese versions of their songs sometimes, I really can't stand the whole idol culture to be honest. Absolutely hate Japanese TV, and I've given up ever meeting a Japanese girl with decent music taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandiculate View Post
    Ah yeah they do Japanese versions of their songs sometimes, I really can't stand the whole idol culture to be honest. Absolutely hate Japanese TV, and I've given up ever meeting a Japanese girl with decent music taste.

but (more) seriously, surely there must be loads of girls with great music taste in Tokyo...just go to more gigs?!

Yep, plenty .. lol

Yeah I think it's more the circles I've been round in recently. There are lots of girls that know their bands. Still never found anyone who thinks much of dance music though, beyond kind of liking house.

The girls I live with just have constant hardons for K-pop groups, they watch their DVDs of concerts and make wierd noises

@Chow; I'd been exposed to the tumblr obsessives before, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Oddly enough, there was one 'blogger' that was apparently a 17 year old girl who was writing these really creepy badly translated posts about stalking and attacking Sulli from f(x). It was the staple of the internet (for me anyway) for like a month. Seriously, genius levels of depravity, and I don't know if it was some odd art joke, or brilliant perversion.