Facebook status thread

slowtrain

Post noteworthy facebook statuses you have encountered in this thread, or complain about a lack of them.

Probably about 90% of my friends ones are links to videos no one will watch, or articles no one will read.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Great idea. it's amazing what minutiae people will tell the world in order to prove that they continue to exist.

As to videos no-one will watch, or article no-one will read, I try to read most links people put up, and listen to the songs/watch videos as long as it's not sub-Bon Iver mumblefolk or something. I've found some amazing articles, in particular, less so amazing new music/film.

If i'm not interested in what someone has to say on a regular basis, I usually defriend them.

luka

Sarah Jessica Parker may not be the most attractive woman but she is a sweet spirited, humble, intelligent & gifted actress!

luka

Loyalty is rare these days. Is it wrong to feel hurt that a close friend is chummy with someone who is known to be rude to you or am I being too sensitive? I could never. I think I am a dying breed.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Loyalty is the cornerstone of any friendship.

On a facebook/things that drive you mad tip, people who have 100s of friends and never defriend/have a 'clearout' drive me a bit nuts. It's very rare that most of those people are ever saying anything riveting, given the general standard of FB statuses, so they're being kept around essentially to 'like' stuff and validate one's existence? Or if not, why? It kinda makes it less likely that the genuinely interesting links will ever be read....

Last edited:

slowtrain

I think a lot of my friends have like a bazillion facebook friends because when you play in bands and organise shows, it makes it really easy to promote on large scales.

I only have <50 friends though. (But I only joined facebook about two months ago>)

luka

i think thats partly a kiwi thing though. a lot of my kiwi mates have overe 1000 which is invocnceivable to me. its also cos in nz theres so few degrees of speration between people.

slowtrain

I just did an informal survey and most of my NZ friends have between 100 and 250 friends, while my US friends usually have 350+.

luka

my kiwi mates
j-1457
t-422
t-370
s-869
y-379
m-896
p-251
c-31
r-163
guess i was exxagerrating. those are quite high numbers to me though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
One guy I know puts all this kind of badly spelled pseudo-philosophy on his wall in a smug and superior way.

There are ALWAYS choices you can make in order to make this a better world to live in. The first choice you have to make is to step out of the dream and start seeing what's going on around you further than 3 feet away... News outlets are just there to point out where the smoke is and which somke they think you want to see first - go beyond that.... with your head in the sand, you'll never see who's kicking you up the backside...
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything...
care about this world and the people on it, so it gets my goat sometimes when I see displays of utter uncaring and unawareness... and self imposed ignorance is just surreal as far as I'm concered... so forgive me if I speak up on these topics from time to time and unsettle some peoples unaware bliss, but if no one's taking about it, nothing gets done... slavery, womens rights, ricism and so on would have come to nithing if people keep thteir mouths shut...
I like the way he creates a moral equivalence there between slavery and women's rights.

You see, a lot of people are just sheeple (thanks for that one Luke). They see idiot no1 over there saying "look at this system here, its great, you should do it too" - and without any checking or questioning they say "well, if that lot over there are doing it, it MUST be ok for me to do it" - REALLY!?!?!? Did your parents never tell you the old saying? "Well if Jimmy jumped off a cliff on to a spike, would you do that as well?" - It's not hard to care, but it is fecking lazy not to.... not to mention selfish and moronic... I have a suggestion for these people. Run in to the road without looking in future - because it's way too much effort to look both ways...
And those are just off the front page.
Also, he invited me to a house-party once and asked me to dj but then he stayed on the decks all night until like seven am and everyone had left and then said "do you want to play now?".

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Ricism is pretty bad though. It's shocking how many people will still happily admit to thinking that white rice is inherently better than brown rice.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
god, he sounds like a prize tool. does he do anything to make the world better in real life, as opposed to inside his ego?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not as far as I know, although I don't know him very well to be honest. I guess all that stuff is well-intentioned so maybe I shouldn't mock. Reminds me of reading Paulo Coelho though, something I hope I never do again.

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend gave me like five or six books as a gift and said that he loved them all. Five were good books, one was by Paulo Coelho (I'd never heard of him at the time), it was basically an elaborate trick to get me to read that.

viktorvaughn

Not as far as I know, although I don't know him very well to be honest. I guess all that stuff is well-intentioned so maybe I shouldn't mock. Reminds me of reading Paulo Coelho though, something I hope I never do again.

Glad I am not along in thinking him unbearably trite and generally appalling.