Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Mirror

Also, I thought there was something a bit scattergun about his approach (and my responses unfortunately) - the bit about making the villain in the first piece a Turner Prize Winning artist seemed a bit tacked on - so Charlie doesn't like the Turner Prize? Or was he arguing that the TP (and by extension art) is just part of the media circus now? If so he may have a point - when I went to the twenty years of Turner Prize exhibition I was very surprised how much they wrote about the effect of all-woman (and all-man) shortlists on the media relative to the amount they wrote about the art that had supposedly generated those lists.

not seen the last one, but episode 2 didnt feel that far fetched really. biking to produce energy, popups you cant avoid, huge screens as walls, that doesnt seem that far off. was a bit too obvious in a way, but still felt good to have someone make drama reflecting the inherent crapness of a lot of modern culture.
    Last edited by gumdrops; 22-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.

I thought they were all conceptually pretty good, slightly oddly filmed and a bit corny in a way.

I actually liked the second one, even if it was maybe a bit obvious. He was taking all the things alot of people are completely buying into and then pushing them to their theoretical extremes. Its grim and depressing to watch because most people probably have a bit of discontent/ fear of where it is going, and are mostly sort of trapped in it anyway now. Or at least feel trapped in it. As someone mentioned the little touches were what made it salvageable really, beyond a pretty basic concept/storyline. and it was refreshing to see someone try and attempt a decent futuristic piece that is atleast relevant not playing on old clichés.

The last one was maybe the best conceptually I think, allthough it didn't really use it for anything interesting. Clear paralells between things like Facebook recording every conversation you had, every image you take etc, being instantly retrievable at anytime. So again I think he was taking that to the next logical extreme and showing all the problems that it could cause. I'm not talking about privacy here by the way, but the sort of extra highly accurate memory funtion we now have due to the internet. Its just a pity he didn't go deeper with it, I guess the choice of them all being well-off elite lawyers etc, was purposeful.
    Last edited by muser; 22-12-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: humorous spelling

I'm guessing that he was inspired by this guy - maybe he arrived at the same thesis himself, it's not that radical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...et-digital-age

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I'm guessing that he was inspired by this guy - maybe he arrived at the same thesis himself, it's not that radical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...et-digital-age
    I remember years back he wrote a column talking about an imaginary computer game where you can go back in time to win arguments with your girlfriend.

Brooker or Schonberger? Guess it has to be Brooker.

yup. can't find it on google tho. maybe was on screenwipe

First one was reactionary NLP shite dressed up as counterculture, much the same as all Brooker. He's a police plant, don't allow him any more air or brain space.

Is that Neuro Linguistic Programming? How so?

Is that Neuro Linguistic Programming? How so?
    Seemingly making a programme which says "hehehe I'm making a programme about the PM fucking a pig" whilst actually saying "the PM loves you and royalty so much that he's prepared to fuck a pig for you, and when he does you'll feel sorry you wanted it". Our sympathies were left not with our protagonist - the artist of whom we knew nothing about, who killed himself because of what? What exactly? But with the P.M.

By NLP I mean it says one thing and means another. I went in watching it with an open mind - one last chance Charlie after what you said about the riots - but came out just thinking he was one of those planted Tories from the Guardian, like Michael White, who have infiltrated us.

Sorry didn't like it. It was sentimental, ugh, and about who? Royalty and the government. Please.

it just made me wonder why more terrorists dont have more outlandish demands.
    i dont really read brookers column anymore, hes become all shtick, and all the angry cynical ranting he used to be funny at is now quite automated. for a while i thought he had even become happy when i saw him on that ch4 news satire show.
    but i do like his tv writing, between this and dead set. black mirror isnt perfect, but i cant remember the last thing i saw on tv that felt powerful like this did. and i dont think thats cos tv is so lazy and safe these days, its just good telly.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 23-12-2011 at 12:00 AM.

It felt powerful because it was government propaganda.

But I thought that NLP was a kind of self-improvement technique? I've heard people recommend it. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, I'll look it up again.

"Seemingly making a programme which says "hehehe I'm making a programme about the PM fucking a pig" whilst actually saying "the PM loves you and royalty so much that he's prepared to fuck a pig for you, and when he does you'll feel sorry you wanted it". Our sympathies were left not with our protagonist - the artist of whom we knew nothing about, who killed himself because of what? What exactly? But with the P.M."
    That wasn't at all the view I got of the PM - I took him to be an unpleasant, bullying and shallow character (given the subtle surname of Callow) who was painted into a corner by his reliance on polls. When he felt there was no choice he did the "right" thing and was then happy to reap the rewards of people wrongly believing that he'd made a moral decision. He acted exactly as we think Tony Blair would and I think that we were supposed to despise him in the way we assume Brooker despises Blair.
    Not sure about the artist character - in fact he wasn't really a character, just an afterthought added on to make the story work. I felt that that was a failing in the story but not one that was necessarily due to Brooker's politics.

But I thought that NLP was a kind of self-improvement technique? I've heard people recommend it. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, I'll look it up again.
    It's partly about being a more effective communicator, which can bleed into manipulating people - see the Pick Up Artist thread.

I like Sloane's forthright take on this but didn't really feel empathy with anyone in the first episode. I assume the artist topped himself at the end either because he was horrified with what he'd done, or horrified about what happened said about the world.

brookers angle is almost always 'everything is going to shit', but im not sure how that equates him to being a royalist/tory.