Hitchens

D

droid

Dies the day after the Americans withdraw from Iraq. Some serious cosmic irony there.

luka

you cant drink heavily every day and retain your mental faculties. its sad that people destroy themselves, but they do.

bruno

est malade
the good thing about being dead is that one can no longer read comment sections. he is in a better place.

vimothy

yurp
Is it really though?

Whenever I read "lenin" I find that it's never more than exactly what I was expecting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well yeah, pro-faith hard-leftists in not massively keen on Chris Hitchens shocka...

A friend of mine is obsessed with this guy.

D

droid

Well yeah, pro-faith hard-leftists in not massively keen on Chris Hitchens shocka...

A friend of mine is obsessed with this guy.

Say what you like about Seymour, but he's far from 'pro-faith'.

don_quixote

Trent End
Polemicist to the last anyway. Every thread I've seen today is full of people arguing over him.

Here's Cockburn's take

http://www.counterpunch.org/2011/12/16/farewell-to-c-h/

One awful piece of opportunism on Hitchens’ part was his decision to attack Edward Said just before his death, and then for good measure again in his obituary.

does he know what he's writing about? i'm sure it's not exactly equivalent and can be defended and so on, but really, this sentence, in a piece about his death?

crackerjack

does he know what he's writing about? i'm sure it's not exactly equivalent and can be defended and so on, but really, this sentence, in a piece about his death?

That's a pretty unpleasant piece (I thought they were still mates?) but he's spot on regarding Hitchens' attempted skewering of Clinton.

Esp

Cheers for the link to this, it was a really well put together piece. I didnt realise the scale of the reaction to Reagan's death, it'll be interesting to see what sort of reaction we get in the UK when Thatcher goes.

The Lenin's Tomb Obit had too strong a thread of intellectual arrogance running through it for me - to accuse Hitchens of floundering when faced with literary theory seems a bit much.

Last edited: