ding dong Kim Jong Il is dead

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
as you probably know you if pay any attention to current events or ever use the Internet.

I don't really know much about North Korea beyond what your average dude does - brutal totalitarianism, the awful food shortages that are literally turning the North Korean people into dwarves via malnutrition, that crazy satellite photo of the Korean peninsula at night, the wacky things like kidnapping foreign directors to make your terrible movies, and so on. but maybe some other people here know some more or at least have some thoughts about it.

the son who succeeds him apparently went to fancy private school in Switzerland and was or possibly still is obsessed with the NBA (so NBA players currently playing in China better watch out - heads up J.R. Smith!) and is otherwise generally mysterious. if anything it's surprising how little of a splash KIJ's death has made, tho I guess being executed on the street by revolutionaries is a bit more dramatic than a heart attack as far as dictator deaths go. anyway I guess we'll see what happens with the hermit kingdom.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also while I'm here I just noticed this totally crazy take on KJI from the great Willie D of the Geto Boys. Scarface is a pretty sharp dude and would probably have something insightful to say. Bushwick too, for that matter. Willie, not so much, tho Do it Like a G.O. will always slam either way.

(btw, Willie's formspring is generally highly entertaining - h/t Noz, like most good things - in case you're the kind of person who's interested in reading all kinds of cool Geto Boys trivia, which you should be)

and there's your Geto Boys/Kim Jong-Il connection for the day.

muser

Well i've watched three programs all about north Korea on VICE tv so I feel I am pretty well informed on the matter. If anyone has any questions please fire away.

heres some propganda someone posted on another forum.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is it propaganda though? I mean, it's really happening and probably without any explicit enforcement. Obviously they know that it's in their interests to look upset - but who knows to what extent they believe state issued news, they may genuinely think that the world is fucked without him. I can't imagine they have any other news sources. It's very strange but I'm not sure propaganda is the right word.

muser

I mainly call it propagada because I imagine nearly all news reporting in N.Korea is propaganda to some extent. I couldnt possibly say whether those people are genuinely upset or not, its not unlikley that they are as you say, definitely looks pretty odd though.

D

droid

I mainly call it propagada because I imagine nearly all news reporting in N.Korea is propaganda to some extent. I couldnt possibly say whether those people are genuinely upset or not, its not unlikley that they are as you say, definitely looks pretty odd though.

Yeah, very strange.

1267510.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
For sure, the release of these images to the west is intended to show how loved he was - although badly misjudged I'd say as most people's reaction is probably not the one they want.

craner

Beast of Burden
Here is an interesting and balanced article explaining why it is hypocritical and/or feeble-minded to believe all the propaganda demonising North Korea and sanitising the South.