OFFiCiAL RiFF RAFF APPRECiATiON THREAD

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
My problem with Riff Raff appreciation is that the only way it seems you can appreciate him is with ironic detachment. The second you get anywhere close to being in his orbit, you find yourself dealing with some very repulsive and uncomfortable issues which are perhaps not as apparent in the U.K. as they are in North America. I don't know this for sure, I can just see it being easier to appreciate this idiot from afar - the further, the better. Hence why Luka can appreciate him for being "exotic."

SecondLine

i think he looks fantastic. he is good at twitter. he is very modern and tumblr and presumably self-aware. i dont see why he shouldnt be big, at least wiz kahlifa big. i dont listen to the music exactly but h is compelling to me. its so american and exotic, like borck lesnar is american and exotic.

LOL

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The second you get anywhere close to being in his orbit, you find yourself dealing with some very repulsive and uncomfortable issues which are perhaps not as apparent in the U.K./QUOTE]

What do you think these are Sick Boy? I'm not being facetious, it's just that from here (my perspective at the moment) most US rappers are repulsive and uncomfortable and I'd like to know why you think he is as well. Or why he is more so, cos I just seen those videos that Luka posted or whatever and I don't see any difference between him and whoever.

alex

Do not read this.
soulja boy doesn't even take his weed down when he smokes, what a cunt

edit** not my cup of tea but can completely see his appeal, totally feeling the open cocaine use on camera too. His dress sense is amazing aswell.

I bet he loves the negative reactions to him, he surely thrives of it?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
1. I like his bright clothes. the neon yellow/green/red shorts etc. it reminds me of when I was in primary school and neon was all the rage. neon and surf-boards on t-shirts.

2. ''wrist like a glacier, arm like a spaceship...''

3. i'd like to know how i'd feel about his music if I DIDN'T Know what he looks like. would I like it more or less? I mean, I feel like I should hate him and I still really like a lot of these tunes I'm finding on youtube.

4. someone on youtube said he sounds like a cross between gucci and boosie. sometimes this seems true.

The 'minstrel show' thing is interesting. I've seen rappers like Gucci Mane/Waka etc. denounced by black bloggers as being ''coon'' rappers who damage the perception of the black race with their lyrics (or lackthereof). It does make me wonder, as a white brit, if there's something unsavoury about my love for these rappers. OTOH, 1. I think both Gucci and Waka have significant merits as rappers/artists, whether or not their lyrics are particularly thoughtful/thought-provoking 2. leaving aside the violence/ignorance of their attitudes towards women etc., the music is often really great in terms of energy/sound... actually this is a slightly disingenuous stance to take, I suppose, since if I'm honest the violence and immorality of some rap music probably makes me like it MORE.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is quite an interesting topic too in terms of whether rappers should represent reality/'keep it real' or if they should be larger-than-life entertainers (Riff Raff is like a cartoon, isn't he?). I mean, I think they can be either, or BOTH, but this is obviously a divisive and controversial issue in Hip-Hop culture.

Further complicated in Riff Raff's case due to his race and this element of doubt that seems to exist over whether or not he's just taking the piss.

If he IS taking the piss, that clearly has certain connotations that might lead to a charge of racism on the part of him and his audience, but on the other hand there are plenty of black people who hate Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy etc. and would be in favour of ridiculing it.

e/y

Further complicated in Riff Raff's case due to his race and this element of doubt that seems to exist over whether or not he's just taking the piss.

I wasn't quite sure before, and some of the things you liked I did, too. but the new video (on the previous page) kind of solidified whatever suspicions that I had of it being a piss take / (insidious) parody.

outraygeous

I think he isnt bright enough to be taking the piss. That would take planning and would be pretty hard to be like him ALL the time.

He is the biggest cartoon that swag rap has produced.

Like if you watch 50 Tyson, I dont want to be bad or anything but he looks and acts a bit slow. I know thats non PC but you get me. Plus we are talking about rappers who have problems reading and writing

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
What is swag rap exactly? I'm asking this because I suddenly realise how much different hiphop and rap is nowadays, it's so different than the image I have of it. When did this change? Who pioneered this thing and what is so distinctively different about it? Right now when I think about rap I see HD youtube video's of Lil B.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
http://www.xxlmag.com/the-break/2012/01/the-break-presents-riff-raff/

My style and/or skills have been compared to: Compared to none. Then they wanna wish they could point to some lil white boy and say “Yea, Riff Raff looks like that other white dude” .. but I’m UnComparable. If I was compared to anything, it would be the Belt of Orion across the Silky Skies of the Bermuda Triangle.

I’m gonna be the next: Denzel Washington. Due to the fact that whenever him and I walk down the street, everyone thinks we are twins. He also promised me that I would also be one of the most financially stable individuals in the league. I’m also going to be the next Nike designer, after I invented the Deion Sandals. Also I’m going to be the next flavor of Arizona Iced Tea Drink, RiFF RaFF RiCED TEA coming soon.

okay so if he wrote this he's definitely taking the piss

luka

you can take the piss in the all sorts of ways. i dont think riff raff has contempt for what he is imitating. i think he loves it. i think its what stops it being minstrelry.

SecondLine

It's still kinda sad though to see confirmation of the formula

cultural phenomenon [x] + ironic distancing = hip-compatible version of [x]