Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackest Ever Black

Default Blackest Ever Black

Anyone else been following this label's output? Quality electronic music for moody bastards

yeah, really enjoyed every release so far. the Regis and Tropic of Cancer ones from last year were among my favourites. they've put out some good mixes - http://goo.gl/PHxbH (well, i think they're very good, but not normally stg I listen to, so...) had the Raime FACT podcast on repeat for a while, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanroberto View Post
    how many threads have you had shut down?

Have slept on this label in a shameful way. Cheers for the reminder/headsup.

That Raime FACT mix is brilliant. Every now and then you get a reminder of just how incredible jungle was at points.

It seems to have done that thing some of my favourite labels do of having particular thematic references but be pretty diverse. The Mixtapes are good too, worth a download.

Blackest Ever Black - The Dissapointment Engine
    http://blackesteverblack.blogspot.co...ay-online.html

Blackest Ever Black - She Died With Her Eyes Open
    http://blackesteverblack.blogspot.co...blog-post.html

Interesting they're actually remastering and rereleasing music as well as simply being 'inspired' by a certain period too

Interesting criticism of dance music in that interview:

"I suddenly felt nauseated by the dance culture I hitherto considered myself a part of, one whose sense of its own forward-thinking masks a top-to-bottom conservatism and a fear of the mildest idiosyncrasy, let alone unabashed personal expression. There's no risk or transgression, not right now, in calling your track "B15587" or, you know, "Wad," however good the music might be. Nobody grills a house or dubstep producer on what their music is actually about, because we know from the outset it's not about anything, and nor do we expect it to be. But after a while you begin to crave content, don't you?"
    Those mixtapes look great, copping now

not on the label, but definitly feel its in a similar vein.... anyone checked out Vatican Shadow? project from Prurient, war on terror themed dark techno ambience.... just listening now, some really nice stuff

didn't really feel the earlier Vatican Shadow releases (EPs, I think?) but I've liked bits of the Kneel Before Religious Icons album that I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanroberto View Post
    how many threads have you had shut down?

that Raime track in the OP is fuckin great

where can i hear this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Aww Nein View Post
    not on the label, but definitly feel its in a similar vein.... anyone checked out Vatican Shadow? project from Prurient, war on terror themed dark techno ambience.... just listening now, some really nice stuff
    I like the Pakistan Military Academy release by him

This whole dark serious techno-inspired thing that some of this stuff slots into (often coming from an experimental/noise angle e.g Pete Swanson, Container, Kplr) is kinda interesting. There was an article in MNML SSGS recently that highlighted some intriguing stuff, not had a chance to listen to much yet though. It seems almost dilapidated, broken down and sandpaper rough, kinda makes me think of Andy Stott's 'Knackered House' coining.

Edit: http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/2011/11/...ing-again.html

Yeah, I'm loving KPLR. Has some of the raw punk vibe that I've not heard from much electronix in a while. Need to check some more of those names, but yeah this tangent is a good thing in my books.

And yeah, I guess I pretty much agree with the point about most dance music being conservative. I guess maybe that's why I don't listen to too much these days. I'm sick of that same fucking bass drop looped up a thousand times. Lifestyle party shit in the worst, most nihlistically hedonistic way possible. Of course that's just one side of it, but whatever.

Is this hipster goth?

lack of 'content' (reduced there to visual/verbal descriptors of the music rather than anything specific about the music itself) is one of the ways dance music lends itself to so many varieties of communal experience and engagement

prurient said something in an interview also conducted by kiran sande about his work being a way to explore selfishness and personal obsession without the constraints of genre or audience. although i like the music on blackest a bit that ethos couldn't be further from what i look for in dance music

wanting content, or rather a human personality, is prob why ive been listening to hip hop again more lately.

At the same time, a lack of 'content' leaves something to strive for and allows the music to degenerate into something that essentially stands for nothing.

There's a bigger discussion to be had on this, something I don't have the time for.