Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclonopedia

Default Cyclonopedia

Well, I didn't start on Sunday as promised but finally opened it yesterday and I'm only a few pages in but I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone has any thoughts. The first things that sprang to my mind so far: Blobjectivity - that's a joke right? All this stuff about the significance of the various numbers on the joints of the cross - that's a joke right?
    Also, this bit stuck out:

"Is Reza male or female? At first I thought female, but now I would like to believe that RN was male."
    Kind of links quite nicely with some of the comments in the other thread:

Mistersloane:
    Damn. I badly want her to be a her and not him to be a him, can't they trans or something?
    Sub-Rosa:
    When I first encountered Reza I thought he was female, but now know he is male
    Last edited by IdleRich; 24-09-2008 at 10:57 AM.

All this stuff about the significance of the various numbers on the joints of the cross - that's a joke right?
    When Reza was writing for Hyperstition, they were always into this weird, hard to understand, ultra-idiosyncratic type of Qabalah (e.g. this or possibly this for an 'explanation').

"When Reza was writing for Hyperstition, they were always into this weird, hard to understand, ultra-idiosyncratic type of Qabalah (e.g. this or possibly this for an 'explanation')."
    Blocked at work unfortunately but will check later. The bits I'm talking about however seem to make no sense whatsoever, or at least, no sense in the way that anyone else could independently take the same things and come to the same conclusion, all you can do is take it as read and go with the flow. Or maybe I'm stupid.

"The bits I'm talking about however seem to make no sense whatsoever, or at least, no sense in the way that anyone else could independently take the same things and come to the same conclusion, all you can do is take it as read and go with the flow. Or maybe I'm stupid."
    Maybe a good analogy would be hearing someone playing that Mornington Crescent game.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post

Kind of links quite nicely with some of the comments in the other thread:

Mistersloane:

Sub-Rosa:
    Hah that's weird and nicely coincidental. Mine not here yet - I have to redirect my post to another address - but will pick it up after the weekend. It sounds totally fucked up, which is good for me at the moment.

"Hah that's weird and nicely coincidental"
    My first thought was that you had already read it and you were sneakily making an in-joke that we couldn't get until later.

haha no! I'm not that clever or machiavellian unfortunately. Not read it yet! but usually if people talk about marks and crosses they're referencing Rosicruscianism (sp?) and that but I'll shut up until it's in my hands.

"Not read it yet! but usually if people talk about marks and crosses they're referencing Rosicruscianism (sp?) and that"
    Not this time - that would be much too simple, this is the Cross of Akht we're talking about here.

Started it last night and really couldn't get a handle on it. Like reading while drunk or something.

Read the first bit and started the stuff on the crosses - will go back and start again tonight - maybe i just wasn't in the right mood.

"Started it last night and really couldn't get a handle on it. Like reading while drunk or something.
    Read the first bit and started the stuff on the crosses - will go back and start again tonight - maybe i just wasn't in the right mood."
    Well, the first bit wasn't too bad (I thought) - just a very fast-paced quick cutting diary thing that concentrated only on the salient points of the story and the incidentals(?) such as her DFA 1979 t-shirt. Already introduced RN as a character - no messing about there - but otherwise fairly normal. The next bit was a whole lot more complicated though, some of it I had to read several times, more comments when I have had time to read a bit more.

I got my copy and have been reading Iím on the fourth chapter (?) Relic. I am familiar with Rezaís works from Collapse and hyperstition and Iíve been going with the flow I guess and am finding the chapters are becoming easier to follow (no numbers stuff after the first chapter and chapters are easier to grasp. I do think that some of the concepts (hyperstitions of oil, blobjectivity, trison and black sun) in the first chapter are important as they keep surfacing in the next chapters.

Blobjective: LOL, world as seen from the subterranean perspective of the blob (petroleum) ?!!!

Just put my order in, should have it by Tuesday. Looking forward to this hugely!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Just came through today. I've got a twisted neck from my gig last week and horrible flu so dosed up to the eyeballs and it's just perfect reading, like Ishmael Reed if he'd been listening to Black Secret Technology instead of Ornette Coleman. Lovely. I do keep passing out reading it though, I hope that's the book rather than the codeine.

I used to read Reza's wok on Hyperstition - i always liked the way he brought deleuzian analysis to bear on middle east studies, especially nomadology. deleuzes best work was in collaboration with felix guatarri imo. not sure where Reza teaches but when i was on contact (maybe 3-4 years ago) he was working on his third PhD. A similar book, without any poststructualist theory, came out a couple years ago called Move Under Ground. I could never get into the Cthulhu cult on hyperstition but there's a lot of decent material in the archives.

I have been deep into the Sebag Montefiore biog of Stalin - a 700+ page brute. Cylclonopedia is next up.

Could I ask quite why everyone on here is so exited about this book - it's generated more buzz than any other book club read offered so far.