continuum

smugpolice
I've been avoiding this thread due to being a bit behind but have now caught up thanks to nowtv.com

I read the first book before watching any of the TV series and really feel they are doing a good job with converting it to the screen. Most of what I think has already been said in this thread but obviously the red wedding is the highlight so far. So against what you would expect to happen in any modern storyline.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Littlefinger's accent has gone fully Irish now after several seasons of going all over the place.

I'm finding the Dany storyline consistently dull now. The supernatural elements of the show are generally pretty dull IMO, far more interested in the political intrigue. I almost wonder why G.R.R. Martin needed to bother with all this magical rubbish in the first place.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm finding the Dany storyline consistently dull now.

Yeah, it's like, OK she goes around freeing slaves and then they become her followers, we get it already.

The supernatural elements of the show are generally pretty dull IMO, far more interested in the political intrigue. I almost wonder why G.R.R. Martin needed to bother with all this magical rubbish in the first place.

I've thought this since the first series. More sword, less sorcery, please (not that there isn't plenty of sword as it is, but you know). It's also pretty inconsistent, I mean Renley was unambiguously killed by his brother's freaky demon-baby but why was there only one of them? Droid said something about it draining Stannis's mojo but that hasn't really been explained in the series. So did Robb and Joffrey die because of the magic spell with the leeches, or just because someone wanted to kill them?

I have a feeling that the big finale is going to hinge around the fact that only dragon-fire can kill White Wankers...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I always imagine Justin beaver being like joffery as he holds court in his dressing room/tour bus post-show, humiliating minions and groupies while terrified courtiers laugh along out of fear.

luka and Mr Tea have done sterling work in this thread. Have a Gold Dragon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, when it first started I thought it was a cool idea that dragons and giants etc HAD existed but had all died out - it fitted well with the sense of a world where magic and chivalry were long gone, if they even existed at all.

God, wasn't all that stuff with the warlocks in the last series boring?

I think Emilia Clarke's delivery of the ''I'll repay injustice with... justice!'' was my favourite wooden line reading of the show so far.

The brothers standing up one by one in response to Jon Snow's speech was very cheesy, I like that evil Lock character though, hopefully he'll stab Jon Snow through the heart. Apparently this last episode deviated significantly from the books for the first time - the fact that Bran might meet up with Jon is supposedly not in the books AT ALL.

Just a quick note to any fans of the show with a Blu Ray player - it is definitely worth getting the show on Blu Ray because the quality of the image is ASTONISHING. It's like some sort of HR hallucination floating in front of my grateful, tear-sodden eyes.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"So did Robb and Joffrey die because of the magic spell with the leeches, or just because someone wanted to kill them?"
I like this ambiguity - they put a curse on him and he died and they can believe they were the cause but others will just see the proximate cause and just think they were poisoned or whatever. Things like that happen in real life all the time.

"I mean Renley was unambiguously killed by his brother's freaky demon-baby but why was there only one of them?"
That was a bit rubbish I agree. If they had a one-shot certainty like that then surely there were better targets.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But didn't the fat bloke kill one or did I dream that?

Yeah, with a dagger made from...

*drum roll*

..."dragon-glass!"

Which I imagine to be some sort of obsidian resulting from rock that's been vitrified by dragon-fire.

Last edited:

droid

Dragon glass is obsidian.

Bran and Jon... there is a brief encounter in the books.

Devil assassin child - sucks Stannis' life force every time.

Littlefinger - he is Irish. I cycle past him on the way into work occasionally. Supposed to be a nice guy.

You think Dany's storyline is bad now?

I haven't watched this in ages. At least a season behind.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The actor who plays Littlefinger is Irish sure but is the character? He wasn't at the start but he seems to be now. He was in Queer As Folk right? I remember my girlfriend at the time making me watch it every week cos she fancied him.

droid

The actor who plays Littlefinger is Irish sure but is the character? He wasn't at the start but he seems to be now. He was in Queer As Folk right? I remember my girlfriend at the time making me watch it every week cos she fancied him.

Im not sure there is an Ireland in Westeros (cue upside down Ireland/westeros post from Tea)?

TBH, I dont think he ever puts on that much of an accent in anything - bar when he played Carcetti in the wire.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Devil assassin child - sucks Stannis' life force every time.

Yeah I recall you said earlier, but it would make more sense if he'd had several, and visibly weakened each time, but you can't really get that impression from it happening just the one time (I think all we've had to go on in the series was Melissandre saying something like "your fires burn low, my lord" when he asked her to do the magic vaginal assassin trick again). It just seems odd that there's only been one when you'd think she could pop one out to deal with each of Stannis's enemies.

You think Dany's storyline is bad now?

Oh blimey, that doesn't fill me with confidence...

droid

Yeah I recall you said earlier, but it would make more sense if he'd had several, and visibly weakened each time, but you can't really get that impression from it happening just the one time (I think all we've had to go on in the series was Melissandre saying something like "your fires burn low, my lord" when he asked her to do the magic vaginal assassin trick again). It just seems odd that there's only been one when you'd think she could pop one out to deal with each of Stannis's enemies.

Wasnt he sick or something in the TV show after. There's not much reference to it in the book, but it is made clear somehow (I cant recall) that its a last ditch kinda deal.

Oh blimey, that doesn't fill me with confidence...

She more or less bears the brunt of Martin's growing narrative uselessness.. I imagine her storyline will be radically shortened in the TV show, which means all you'll miss is acres of prose about Dario's hair, makeup and pantaloons, and loads of doing absolutely nothing in the desert.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
This series definitely feels a lot slower and less gratifying. I suppose that's partly because there are so many characters now that one episode gets spread pretty thinly. That said, it has still taken ages for some plot lines to progress or get picked up on again. I just rewatched the final episode of the last series as my girlfriend thought she might not have seen it, and it reminded me about Theon's sister and her band of killers going to save Theon. There hasn't been a hint of that and we're half way in (although I saw that it comes up in the next episode) yet we've had lots of nothing much, like the Dany parts people have mentioned. Also agree about the the magic vs political intrigue thing - hopefully Tyrion's trial will make up for that.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tyrion's trial in the first series was superb - especially his confession of a lengthy catalogue of maturbatorial misdemeanours. I have high hopes for his next.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I have high hopes for his next.

Fuuuucking hell. And what is Shae doing? Surely she's twigged by now that he only said those things to her to get her to go away because she was in so much danger? Gah.

I didn't think it was possible to love Mark Gatiss any more than I did already, but I do. Also, who else saw the black pirate dude's punchline coming a mile off? Still loved it.

Poor Theon.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I sincerely hope we're not going to have to watch Denise Tarragon conquer Astamouth and all the rest again.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I loved the list of poisons stolen from Maester Duracell's drug cupboard. Was half expecting it to include ponce-on-the-heath, loony toad-twat and Hattie Jacques' pretentious cheese wog.