mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Hopefully now Stannis has got a shit load of gold some real stuff can start happening. The scrap Droid refers to is, I'm guessing, Tyrion's trial by combat. Who's going to be his champion. Jamie (is that even possible?)? Bronn (again)?

Another thing, this episode made me realise there hasn't been enough Varys this series.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've really enjoyed the last two episodes of the series, seems like a lot of storylines which weren't going anywhere really have suddenly started developing and intersecting (e.g. it's nice to see that Dani's storyline actually MEANS something to Tywin, even if it means a quick piss break for the rest of us).

To me the epic sweep of the storyline is actually something of a weakness - it would be a much more compelling story altogether if it was concentrated almost entirely on Kings Landing, as that's where pretty much all the interesting stuff is happening as far as I can tell.

One little thing I enjoyed in the latest episode was the conversation between Varys and Oberyn (sorry if I'm completely misspelling their names) in the throne room - regarding Varys's sexuality (/lackthereof). It reminded me of the first series of GOT, in which you had a lot of these two-hand conversations which sometimes were a bit clunky and exposition heavy but which often gave nice insights into the depth of emotion motivating the characters power-plays. I much prefer that stuff to the dragons attacking goat-herders and so on.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hopefully now Stannis has got a shit load of gold some real stuff can start happening. The scrap Droid refers to is, I'm guessing, Tyrion's trial by combat. Who's going to be his champion. Jamie (is that even possible?)? Bronn (again)?

Another thing, this episode made me realise there hasn't been enough Varys this series.

I'm expecting a Bronn vs. Jamie (fighting, at odds with himself, for Cersei) showdown - foreshadowed by the scenes of Bronn training Jamie to fight again. Perhaps that would be too obvious, though?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
BTW I thought the statue outside Bravos was just ridiculously big but then I did some research and came across the Spring Temple Buddha, which I'd never heard of before but which is FUCKING GIGANTIC

spring+temple+buddha.jpg

droid

I'm expecting a Bronn vs. Jamie (fighting, at odds with himself, for Cersei) showdown - foreshadowed by the scenes of Bronn training Jamie to fight again. Perhaps that would be too obvious, though?

I wont spoil it anymore, except to say - who most wants revenge and who is the object of their vengeance?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I reckon I'd be slightly disappointed in a justice system whereby the accused could escape if he had the hardest champion to fight for him. I could sort of see it a bit if the guy had to fight for his own life but having a champion makes it totally unfair. I mean, what was the belief? That if the guy was innocent then God would show by letting his champion win? If you get let off cos of that then do the victim's family accept it? "I could have sworn that he was the one but thanks to the irrefutable evidence of the duel now I know that he's not. I shudder to think how close we came to hanging an innocent man".
Even when that kind of justice system existed didn't most people have more sophisticated reasoning than that? How prevalent was this kind of system? Did it only happen in very special circumstances or what?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I expect them to have a more modern form of justice where they can just pay their way out but it seems to the proles that they've been properly cleared.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wont spoil it anymore, except to say - who most wants revenge and who is the object of their vengeance?

Well, Tyrion wants revenge against basically his whole family, with the exception of Jaime - although of course Joffrey's dead now. I loved his line "I didn't kill Joffrey but I wish I had". Cersei hates Tyrion but I can't work out whether she really believes he killed Joffrey or is just going along with it because it's a perfect opportunity to see him bumped off.

Shae is on the fucking warpath and no mistake...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Would assume the Lannisters (Cersei and Tywin anyway) want the hardest bastard available as their champion. That's probably not Jamie these days with the ol' missing hand situation. The obvious choice for such a role is probably the mountain, and given droid's comment I would then expect Oberyn to step in as Tyrion's.

That being said basically every character wants massive, hideous revenge on at least a couple of people so it doesn't narrow it down that much. Could well be Sansa vs Lies-y Handmaiden woman with a hair-pulling showdown.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Shit yeah, the Mountain, I'd forgotten about him. He'd a be fucking tough draw and no mistake - not a lot of finesse, I suppose, but making up with it sheer brute (in every sense) force. It'd be interesting if Oberyn steps up to the challenge by way of getting his revenge for the rape and murder of his sister - I dunno if he 'likes' Tyrion as such, but he seems to realize he's easily the least shitty Lannister and at any rate had nothing to do with the Mountain's crimes.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Actually yeah, The Mountain vs Oberyn had occurred to me but then I forgot about it. My money is on it being that. Oberyn to win.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah that's much more likely than Bronn vs Jamie (suddenly occurs to me that I'd like to see a Streetfighter 2-esque GOT game). I know they've got a new guy in to play the Mountain this series...

d1e9b8747d1d6769.jpg

Here he is! (He's on the left.)

He will definitely lose because its got to be damn-near impossible to find somebody of appropriate physical stature who can also act well enough to sustain more than the most cursory of appearances.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, she's not half as sexy as the character is clearly meant to be but they are good nipples.

Is Littlefinger now firmly in Magnificent Bastard territory?

Soooo looking forward to The Big Fight.

Last edited:

Phaedo

intrigued by Littlefinger's infatuation for Sansa... I can't tell if its as simple as "i wanted to bang your mum, now she's dead you'll do..", or if he has a more complex motive.

Also, Oberyn has been great this season. Hope he plays a big part in episodes/series to come. Assuming the Mountain doesnt chop him in half.