droid

Yeah, Sansa and the Boltons is probably the furthest ahead plot-thread, totally new territory. There's a great fan theory about Ramsay Bolton actually, must dig it out.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A rather major continuity problem between episodes 9 and 10: how the fuck are [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] meant to have escaped from the [REDACTED] after [REDACTED] flew off on the back of [REDACTED] and left them surrounded and hugely outnumbered by [REDACTED]?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Kerry Ingram, a.k.a. Shireen Baratheon: your new favourite GoT cast member.

attachment.php

ingram.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Anyone else seen s6e01 yet? I'd give it a 7/10. As grim as ever with the stage set for plenty more grimness to come.

The Dothraki guys bantering about all the things that are better than seeing a woman naked was a blatant shout-out to Arnie's "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..." line in Conan the Barbarian, I thought.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
SPOILERS

1) Where did the hounds go when Brienne steamed in?
2) Sand snakes still AWFUL
3) You wouldn't like Ramsay when he's... angry?
4) Arya's about to get all Zatoichi up in this bitch
5) Melisandre scene was very well done and surprising, though I don't really see the actual significance of that revelation? (The revelation of her identity, I mean lol #lads) I like the idea of that mythic figure, the croney old Witch, making an appearance in GoT. I also enjoyed the giant last season. I'd actually be interested to see some more of those archetypal mythological creatures appearing in a form fitting for this world, despite having always thought the magical stuff was unfortunate baggage the story has been saddled with.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes, the Red Woman's transfiguration/revelation was really interesting - perhaps even to the point of justifying yet another scene in which she gets her (admittedly excellent) tits out. I agree, a proper Jungian mother-crone-witch character. Just call her Sheila.

I guess the hounds were dispatched with a quick couple of sword-strokes by Brienne and Pod as soon as they turned up, maybe?

I love how they trolled us by making Ramsay seem almost human for about thirty seconds.

Anyone else slightly perturbed by how unbothered Jaime seemed by the death of the second of his three children in that scene with Cersei? (Never mind the unspoken "Hey, sorry about that time I raped you" "Oh don't worry about that, you big silly, now come here and give me a hug".) Although I guess he'd had the (week-long?) voyage from Dorne to mourn for her. I suspect Tomen isn't going to be going anywhere or doing anything without Ser Golem shadowing him from now on.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I hope this doesn't sound creepy but I'd burn my infant child for those tits. #TEAMSTANNIS

From reddit: ''She is several centuries old, according to G.R. Martin. They wanted to show her true age. She is confronting the reality of the situation, her appearance is a lie just as the Lord of Lights' supposed promises and messages to her are lies. She wants to look her real self in the eyes and where she stands.''

They talk about it here apparently:

Something I've tediously banged on about in this thread which occurred to me again this episode was how bitty it all feels now, with all these storylines to juggle. I like the pace of the show (and welcome less time spent with boring characters like Dani and John Snore), but I do miss the depth they were able to impart the world of Westeros in season 1 especially, by having these fairly long scenes of dialogue between characters which didn't advance the plot much but gave us a sense of the rich history behind the plot. Now its more a case of having to keep plates spinning, and remind the viewers that certain plates exist.

Arya's scene in this epiosode, for example, was kind of pointless afaic, except for reminding us that Arya is there, and blind. I guess it sets up a mystery of who the girl with the pole is, but it did seem a little tokenistic to me anyway.

I was all for Varys and Tyrion hooking up to create the perfect comedy double act but its a shame they're stuck in the most boring location on the map.

Last edited:

droid

I was all for Varys and Tyrion hooking up to create the perfect comedy double act but its a shame they're stuck in the most boring location on the map.

Believe me, the scenario in the south is about a billion times more exciting than it was in the books.

Havent seen the new episode, but am waiting for Jon Snow to be reborn - it HAS to happen, right?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I really wish I liked Jon Snow as much as I did in Season 1. Remember him being nicer to Arya than anyone else, and having to deal with being the bastard, and being generally quite subtly charming?

I am inclined to blame Kit Harrington for being a wooden pretty-boy but he played him in season 1 too.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Speaking of Dani, she'd better do something impressive or worthwhile soon because I was waiting for her to stage, I dunno, some massive invasion of King's Landing with dragons and Unsullied and an unbeatable Varis/Tyrion-hatched plan behind it all...or something. Now she's back to square one, except she's a slave (or not much better than one) instead of a khaleesi. And with no dragons. Sounds like I'm not the only one getting a bit bored of her antics. Having said that I'm kind of amused by the idea of her being cloistered away to enjoy another sixty-odd years of existence characterized mainly by games of bridge and all the sweet sherry she can drink.

And Gendry was last seen rowing off into the blue yonder at the end of series THREE. He's surely due a comeback? He's not listed in the cast on the Wiki page on s6 but maybe they've held that back to keep us in suspense...maybe.

It's funny how much of a big deal was made in the first series about Joffrey's illegitimacy and Robert's true issue and all of that, and it's all fallen by the wayside. But with Stannis having killed his only child - not counting his demon-assassin-baby by Melisandre - Gendry is pretty much the last Baratheon, right? Edit: especially if (as it says in the Wiki page for this season) Stannis is actually dead - it does after all seem hard to imagine how he could still be alive if Brienne is also alive.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Here's a question - has GoT developed, thematically?

That sounds dry. But what I mean is: has it got new stuff to say?

The first series in particular was shocking because it was this faintly Tolkienesque world but was really about our world, the historical tradition of power struggles and brutality. It felt entirely grounded. The more magic there is, I wonder if it has left this 'real world relevance' behind?

droid

Its far less delineated in the TV show, but the books generally have fairly strong themes, Im sure there's been acres written about it already, but if you compare the major themes in book 1 (the inadequacy of honour vs politics) to book 4 (the consequences of war and power struggles on normal people) theres a clear shift in tone and focus.

Goes to shit after that though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ooh, interesting question. I'd say it's gone from "I guess this is a fantasy show but I bet life really was this horrible in the Middle Ages" to "Look, there's no way life was ever quite *this* awful even in the middle of the Hundred Years' War and the Black Death with the Spanish Inquisition and slavery thrown in for good measure."

Also I'd like to second (again) whoever it was earlier in the thread who was slagging off the magic/supernatural stuff and said "I don't even care who wins as long as they do it via realpolitik and gold".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've seen Dani's dragons likened to nukes before, just as the One Ring in LOTR was, which reminds me of what Tolkein wrote:

�I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history � true or feigned� with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.�

And then I think, why does it have to have real world applicability? Well, of course, it doesn't. But I still find the most interesting elements of the show (and the books that I've read) to be those that mirror our own world (including the medieval/tudor worlds, e.g.) This stuff is what made people latch onto GoT; like me, many would never have bothered with it if it had been just dragons and zombies and all that stuff.

The point droid makes about the effect of war on ordinary people is interesting, because the show hasn't really shown an 'ordinary person''s perspective, has it? I recall there being a much more vivid depiction, in the books, of how the general population had been devastated by war.

I suppose there's limited interest in asking this show to be what it isn't. After all, if it was just a Medieval version of The Wire it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The presence of Jonathan Pryce and Anton Lesser can't but make me compare GoT to Wolf Hall, and wonder if Mark Rylance will pop up before the end.

droid

The point droid makes about the effect of war on ordinary people is interesting, because the show hasn't really shown an 'ordinary person''s perspective, has it? I recall there being a much more vivid depiction, in the books, of how the general population had been devastated by war.

Just to clarify, Book 4 is basically Brienne & Jaime wandering around a devastated countryside & Cersei bankrupting Westeros... it's criticised as the start of the rot setting, but I think its fairly strong - the first three books are meditations on power with tons of action and this was, I think a necessary bit of reflection.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
From what I'm reading online, the show has quite dramatically departed from the books in terms of the Dorne storyline. Does the king not get stabbed up in the books, then?

It was unbelievable the way the huge hench bodyguard got stabbed once in the back and went down like an axe-wielding sack of potatoes.

The worst thing about Dorne (aside from the ass-kicking, quip-firing, tit-flashing Sand Snakes) is that it's all been set inside that one palace. It feels like the country has a population of about 25 people. I guess this is a budgeting issue.

STILL: it was worth it for Oberyn. *sigh*