Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: game of gnomes tv show

I can't wait for the second series. I watched the first in one night and then persuaded my housemates to watch the first episode... we watched the whole series in one night. When that big thing happened to you know who they reacted so angrily it was really funny, they were AFFRONTED. And we all had a little cry.

I then read the book. Very enjoyable and gripping but sometimes find his writing very weak, stylistically. I'm not sure that matters with this sort of book, though. I mean, the TV series is so cheesy at points and I don't really care.

Tyrion is THE MAN.

Baelish is the second MOST MAN.

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I can't wait for the second series. I watched the first in one night and then persuaded my housemates to watch the first episode... we watched the whole series in one night. When that big thing happened to you know who they reacted so angrily it was really funny, they were AFFRONTED. And we all had a little cry.

I then read the book. Very enjoyable and gripping but sometimes find his writing very weak, stylistically. I'm not sure that matters with this sort of book, though. I mean, the TV series is so cheesy at points and I don't really care.

Tyrion is THE MAN.

Baelish is the second MOST MAN.
    Its all about Littlefinger. Im not convinced that pretty much everything that happens isnt part of his plan.

@Benny - the 4th book is actually OK, it doesn't propel the narrative along much but it has some merits. Falls to pieces in the 5th in almost every respect. I still think the first three are probably the best fantasy written in at least 30 years.

The series was great, of course. I read the second book over christmas (I started the first, but soon found I couldn't be bothered because I knew what was going to happen), and it was... ok. Had me hooked, definitely, but probably because I was reading it on an 8-hour train journey with nothing else to do. it's hardly life-changing. Wish I'd waited for the series really, much more exciting on screen (also, wish I hadn't read a spoiler regarding you-know-what in episode 9)

i got the 2nd book yesterday cos i couldnt wait till april. he cant write obviously and often the prose is hilarious
    'he is loath to leave the warm burrow between her thighs'
    its too early to say if the narrative makes up for it. i assume it will. gnerally tho i think this sort of thing works much better with actors who can bring the stock characters and terrible dialouge to life.

I haven't seen any new TV in ages so I just watched the first ep. Pretty good so far - I like the scenes of Ye Generycke Mediaeval Merriement and the butch-camp 'barbarians'. And the horny boozing midget. And all the tits. I'm a simple soul, really. Gonna watch some more tomorrow.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i got the 2nd book yesterday cos i couldnt wait till april. he cant write obviously and often the prose is hilarious
    'he is loath to leave the warm burrow between her thighs'
    Parody quote or real quote, that's perfect.

Reminds me of Peter Bradshaw's review of The Lord Of The Rings film where he writes:

''There are a few funny lines but, as in a certain type of erotic movie, jokes are basically antipathetic to the Lord of the Rings experience. Unlike Tattooine, or Hogwarts, or even Camelot, Middle Earth is very self-important, especially when people are deadpanning lines like: "By nightfall, these hills will be swarming with orcs."

That mock-medieval solemnity...

I mean, that can actually be enjoyable in of itself.

When I read the first book I knew the story already so really it was this geeky thing of filling in my knowledge about the ''world of the book''. Then boasting to my friends ''oh of course ___ is ____'s third cousin on his mother's side'' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I haven't seen any new TV in ages so I just watched the first ep. Pretty good so far - I like the scenes of Ye Generycke Mediaeval Merriement and the butch-camp 'barbarians'. And the horny boozing midget. And all the tits. I'm a simple soul, really. Gonna watch some more tomorrow.
    I wasn't really into the first episode until the last thirty seconds. Then I was all like ''What fucketh? Ye gods!'' and had to watch the rest. Then I was hooked.

Yeah, that dude who shoves the kid - what a bastard! Good villains are essential. I shall rejoin the chat here when I've watched some more.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i was hooked from the opening scene. i really liked it. it reminded me of maid marion and her merry men.

i was 'enjoying myself' on friday night and spent the whole night and most of the morning speaking in game of gnomes language.
    'we must take the comfortless blanket of night for our cover, and move only in darkness, the lanisters are everywhere, as plentiful as whores at kings landing'

Oh man, this show is so fucking rad. Up to ep 4 now.

Tyrion is such a smart little fucker, loving him to bits. Daenerys has (somewhat) tamed her barbarian husband through the use of empowering sex positions. Jon Snow is proving his mettle on the Wall. The Lannisters and their snotty inbred brat are getting more enjoyably hateable with each episode. Such cool stuff.

Also I want Samwell to undergo a Private Pyle-esque transformation into a born-again hard bastard, but it's looking unlikely at present.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 08-01-2012 at 10:20 PM.

I won't be giving too much away to let you know that by the end of the series you will find watching this video extremely therapeutic:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Also I want Samwell to undergo a Private Pyle-esque transformation into a born-again hard bastard, but it's looking unlikely at present.
    No, he basically remains an irritating twat for the entire first series (at least).

King Robert is a brilliant combination of lecherous, gluttonous, drunken buffoon and just-clever-enough-to-dangerous thug. Fantastic. He's a sort of cross between

and

And Arya Stark is the best pint-sized tomboy heroine since Lyra Belacqua in His Dark Materials.