IdleRich

IdleRich
I enjoyed it on the whole... surprisingly low key in some ways and the better for it, the action scenes were the worst bits.

shakahislop

can't remember game of thrones although i watched all of it. the last couple of series leave a bad taste in the mouth but i thought the first few series were great at the time.

it was weird how they used all kinds of english class tropes (eg accents) and they worked, even internationally. harry potter is the same. there's an english class reproduction thing that gets exported all over the world through these tv adaptations of english writers' books.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Absolutely, a lot of it was based on this north/south divide that is surely meaningless to most of the world. I suppose it's worth noting that Game of Thrones did draw from UK history so there is some kind of justification for it. Great news if you're a jobbing British actor though when a billion dollar mega-series needing countless English-accented bit parts hoves into view. Hardly any Americans in it that I can think of really - Peter Dinklage but who else?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's funny, you can see the reasoning in having a UK-only cast in some film or series actually set somewhere in Britain in the remote past - notwithstanding the fact that accents and pronunciation have changed a lot, and that Shakespeare probably sounded like a cross between a modern Brummie and someone from one of those weird inbred communities in a remote coastal part of West Virginia. But there's seemingly a complete ban on American accents, not only in productions set in the real historical past, but even those set in a fantasy world like Westeros or Middle-earth.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I did quite like the (presumably) anachronistic Northern Irish accent of the guy who played Tyres in Spaced when he was in A Field In England. I say anachronistic - I assume the Northern Irish accent we all know and love didn't exist during the Civil War, since at that time the Plantation of Ulster with Scottish and English Protestants had only been underway for about a generation.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Absolutely, a lot of it was based on this north/south divide that is surely meaningless to most of the world. I suppose it's worth noting that Game of Thrones did draw from UK history so there is some kind of justification for it. Great news if you're a jobbing British actor though when a billion dollar mega-series needing countless English-accented bit parts hoves into view. Hardly any Americans in it that I can think of really - Peter Dinklage but who else?
Jason 'Khal Drogo' Momoa is Hawai'ian, though of course he pegged it in the first series.