D

droid

Yeah, there's no elves, dwarves, orcs, magicians or dragons in the TV show... yet...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The one thing Game of Thrones really needs (and probably can't afford) is some huge fuckoff battle sequences ala. LOTR.

I liked how they handled the battle in the series (can't talk about it as it'll spoil it), but still...

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
There are men who ride horses, if that isn't too far-out and fantastickal for you. ;)

Hm, I guess you're right. I thought there was some Indian looking half-horse half-person, he had make-up on and looked angry all the time, I think he was on the verge of raping some sort of white virgin princess.

D

droid

The one thing Game of Thrones really needs (and probably can't afford) is some huge fuckoff battle sequences ala. LOTR.

I liked how they handled the battle in the series (can't talk about it as it'll spoil it), but still...

Yeah... read an interview with GRRM recently discussing the battle in 'a clash of kings' and how, because of money issues, they just cant do LOTR style battle scenes - even though they have a pretty big budget.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I suppose its not completely necessary, as there's so much intrigue/drama in the non-battle storylines. Also I suppose since its a TV series the emphasis is less on spectacle than in a film. I like watching the LOTR battles on TV but they really came into their own on a big screen.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I can't quite shake the conviction that Khal Drogo must at some point have been a member of System Of A Down...

Regarding epic battles and such, I think the great thing about GoT is that the sense of epicness comes from the scale of what's at stake - the throne of not just one kingdom, but seven! - and the massive complexity of the plot, as well as the incredibly brave/devious/cruel/mental things the characters are prepared to do to further their agenda, whatever it is. So massive battles, although cool to watch, are a bit redundant. It's not like TLOTR where it's all Colossal Army Of Absolute Good vs. Even Colossaler Army Of Absolute Evil.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
as a londoner i do really resent the equation of The North with moral probity.

Ties in with the obnoxious "Yorkshire = honesty" meme beloved of basically every advertising firm in the UK, as bitched about extensively in several other threads.

But back to GoT: fuck me, Joffrey is a proper little Caligula-in-the-making, isn't he? Can't wait for him to get his comeuppance. Preferably from one of the Stark girls.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
I'm halfway through the first book.
I fear I should I stick with the novel first would as starting on the TV series (I know I've watched whole series of The Wire in 24hrs) likely lead to my abandonment of a decent book.

Off topic slightly:
Must also admit I've recently discovered the appendix at the back of the book which makes all the names a damn-sight more easy.
I agree with Luka that some of the editing/writing is pretty poor.

luka

i couldnt read more than a couple of chapters but my girlfriend is deep into it and starting to complain about the way women are treated/depicted.
lots of gang rapes, whores and lady macbeths.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sure prostitution was pretty rife in mediaeval society but it does seem scarcely five minutes goes by without one character or another screwing a whore. That said, the TV series at least does have some pretty good female characters I think, though I can't compare it to the books.

luka

oh she loved the tv series its what made her read the books. just want to make that clear.

luka

Ties in with the obnoxious "Yorkshire = honesty" meme beloved of basically every advertising firm in the UK, as bitched about extensively in several other threads

its deeper than that tho. its about the protestant north. northern europe. the association of cold with hard work and moral uprightness.

vimothy

yurp
I didn't think I would enjoy this show, but it's actually great. Got hooked after two episodes, then watched the whole thing in a couple of days. I was pretty annoyed to discover that only the first series is out though.

At the moment, I'm watching Breaking Bad, which I also didn't think I would enjoy but has me hooked.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
its deeper than that tho. its about the protestant north. northern europe. the association of cold with hard work and moral uprightness.

well and also the equation of the last two with each other. how i hate protestantism, the official religion of modern-day capitalism. there's enough for everyone to live a wonderfully carefree life if we share, so what are we gonna do? oh yes, continue working 40 hours a week. why? er, not sure, because it's morally better or something. anyways, you're late for work.