luka

i watchd the whole first season in three days. its much better than the wire. i love it. its amazing. i cant wait for seaeson two. im going to buy book 2 and read it all.

luka

and this is coming from someone that loaths the mythology of the english north and would happily see everything north of birmingham declare independence and fuck right off. i like brummie accents so im hanging onto the midlands.

slowtrain

Been considering picking this up from the library, and that link has made me definitely write it down.

Summer - finish watching Carnivale
Winter - watch Game of Thrones

Benny Bunter

cool, i was thinking of starting a thread about game of thrones.

I started reading this book over xmas after seeing a couple of the tv episodes and am completely gripped. I think its bloody great which is saying a lot from someone who's steered well clear of fantasy stuff since i was 14.

My fave character is Tyrion the dwarf because of his sardonic wit but you've also gotta love the Dothraki horselord! Sean Bean is perfect for Lord Stark.

I notice the book is nowhere near as racy as the TV show in which they seem to have invented some lesbian sex scenes etc and ramped up the swearing. Still, can't wait to finish the book then watch the whole series.

luka

so many wonderfully rugged men. sean bean is outruggeded by quite a few of the cast. thats impressive.

luka

i want to be a cross between drogo and the dwarf. drogo has the big brow ridge formed by mighty levels of testosterone. the dwarf has all the best lines and delivers them with aplomb. i love the fencing master too. i love stock characters played properly, to the hilt without apology or irony.

D

droid

Im warning you now. The first three boks are great, the 4th is OK, but the 5th takes a serious nosedive in quality. Also, judging by the time its taken him to write the last two, it'll be at least 2020 before all seven books are finished.

Benny Bunter

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0245982/ this is carcetti

he gives a great monologue over a sex scene before getting cross and telling them he doesn't believe it! Hilarious.

This is one of the bits they must have invented for the tv series, there's no smoking hot lesbian ass-play in the book. Littlefinger is just as much a horrible cunt though.

I just finished the book today and, as good as it is, i don't think i'll move on to the second one straight away cos they're so long and absorbing, i cant justify the time right now. I feel like a complete nerd reading fantasy again after so long away from it.

Martin is a brilliant writer though, anyone else here read his Sandkings short story collection. Really good, nasty sci-fi shockers.

Droid, you're the third person to tell me that its all downhill after the third book, guess it must be true.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I can't wait for the second series. I watched the first in one night and then persuaded my housemates to watch the first episode... we watched the whole series in one night. When that big thing happened to you know who they reacted so angrily it was really funny, they were AFFRONTED. And we all had a little cry.

I then read the book. Very enjoyable and gripping but sometimes find his writing very weak, stylistically. I'm not sure that matters with this sort of book, though. I mean, the TV series is so cheesy at points and I don't really care.

Tyrion is THE MAN.

Baelish is the second MOST MAN.

D

droid

I can't wait for the second series. I watched the first in one night and then persuaded my housemates to watch the first episode... we watched the whole series in one night. When that big thing happened to you know who they reacted so angrily it was really funny, they were AFFRONTED. And we all had a little cry.

I then read the book. Very enjoyable and gripping but sometimes find his writing very weak, stylistically. I'm not sure that matters with this sort of book, though. I mean, the TV series is so cheesy at points and I don't really care.

Tyrion is THE MAN.

Baelish is the second MOST MAN.

Its all about Littlefinger. Im not convinced that pretty much everything that happens isnt part of his plan.

@Benny - the 4th book is actually OK, it doesn't propel the narrative along much but it has some merits. Falls to pieces in the 5th in almost every respect. I still think the first three are probably the best fantasy written in at least 30 years.

faustus

The series was great, of course. I read the second book over christmas (I started the first, but soon found I couldn't be bothered because I knew what was going to happen), and it was... ok. Had me hooked, definitely, but probably because I was reading it on an 8-hour train journey with nothing else to do. it's hardly life-changing. Wish I'd waited for the series really, much more exciting on screen (also, wish I hadn't read a spoiler regarding you-know-what in episode 9)

luka

i got the 2nd book yesterday cos i couldnt wait till april. he cant write obviously and often the prose is hilarious
'he is loath to leave the warm burrow between her thighs'
its too early to say if the narrative makes up for it. i assume it will. gnerally tho i think this sort of thing works much better with actors who can bring the stock characters and terrible dialouge to life.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I haven't seen any new TV in ages so I just watched the first ep. Pretty good so far - I like the scenes of Ye Generycke Mediaeval Merriement and the butch-camp 'barbarians'. And the horny boozing midget. And all the tits. I'm a simple soul, really. Gonna watch some more tomorrow.