Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Can it be taken as universal that the Ironborn are everyone's least favourite culture in the Throneiverse? I mean, they're just shit, aren't they? It's not that they're a bunch of thieves, rapists and murderers, because that applies to most ethnic and political groups in the show, it's more their utter lack of any kind of visual charm or flair whatsoever. They have none of the macho-camp nu-metal exuberance of the Dothraki, none of the biker-Viking old-metal appeal of the Wildlings, nor the decadent Borgia-esque panache of the Lannisters. The Dornish lot may be rubbish but at least some of them are nice to look at.

I think they're a bit more fleshed out in the books, but in the show they are indeed pretty shit.

But Dorne is worse. (Oberyn aside.)

droid

Yeah I did forget that, and now I'm still more confused. Did she defy Jacquen to pull the Ser Nonce (lol) murder off? I don't really get how she learned to do that BEFORE she was allowed to become a faceless man. I don't really get if she IS a faceless man now. That storyline was confusing and mostly boring. But obviously now she's back in Westeros with that superpower it's pretty exciting.

Have you considered the idea that Arya and the waif are one and the same person, Fight club style?

Either way, she seemed to get a nod of approval from Jaqen in the last scene.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Are you joking or is that a genuine possibility? Cos if so, the show didn't do a very good job of making that clear.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Forgot to mention, I was impressed by how the show spent all that time building up the mystery of what Margery was up to, how she was going to play the long game against the sparrow, etc... And then blew her up with everyone else.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The most significant development this series, thematically, is the role of religion/the Gods in the story. I can't say it's CLEAR what is going on here, but we've had the Sparrow stuff, and the resurrection of Jon Snow. Davos was right to say that if Melisandre's God requires a child to be burned they must be evil, so are we to assume there is an evil God? Or just black magic of some kind?

I was intrigued by the development of the seven God religion in king's landing, as effected by the High Sparrow. The prospect of a sort of compassionate (though bigoted) Christianity developing in this flatly brutal world, and what that would mean for the leaders of that old world. But one presumes Cersei blew up most of the clergy.

Then of course there's the religion of the lord of light spreading in Mesreen, tying in with Dany...

It will be interesting to see if they flesh this stuff about Gods out, or if it will continue to be a sort of plot mechanic. Perhaps all us disappointed Lovecraft/True Detective fans will finally get to see Cthulu run rampant on HBO? After all, I'd presume George RR Martin is a devotee of the REAL Old Gods.

I WANT MORE NOW X(

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah I did forget that, and now I'm still more confused. Did she defy Jacquen to pull the Ser Nonce (lol) murder off? I don't really get how she learned to do that BEFORE she was allowed to become a faceless man. I don't really get if she IS a faceless man now. That storyline was confusing and mostly boring. But obviously now she's back in Westeros with that superpower it's pretty exciting.

Arya's a bit paradoxical, because while she's bound to be many fans' favourite character aside perhaps from Tyrion (and Joffrey, Ramsay, or whoever happens to be villain du jour), her storyline has really dragged in parts and is certainly one of the least believable. My girlfriend said that her parts have really been one long training montage ever since the second series, which I think is about right. The low point really has to be her survival of being stabbed repeatedly in the gut, falling into a river that must have a thousand types of shit in it and not merely not being dead - after being patched up by an actress? - but well enough to evade and finally kill her persecutor a couple of days later? Sounds pretty unlikely even with modern medicine, let alone a few rags, a darning needle and some opium for the pain.

Having said that, I loved Jaqen's enigmatic smile as she marched off after reappearing in the temple and pointing Needle at him. I like to think this is all part of his plan and he was banking on Arya killing the Waif all along.

At some point we'll have to rank the top 10 deaths you'd least like to personally experience in GoT. I'm putting raped to death by an undead monster near the top, at least.

Yeah, that's gonna smart. He looks the sort who might go for the nose first, I reckon.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Death-by-golem-rape aside, is there a case to be made for GoT being the most feminist TV fiction series of all time? I mean, as of the end of S6, the fate of Westeros lies in the hands of - count 'em - eight amazingly kick-ass women? (Was nine, until the untimely demise of Marge T - pretty gutted that there won't be any more Natalie Dormer in the next series, actually.) And that's not even including Brienne or the pint-sized Lady Mormont.

droid

Id be careful about dismissing the fan theories completely. Sure Roose Bolton wasnt an immortal skin stealing vampire, and Varys probably isnt a merman, but R+L=J was one of the longest running ones and that turned out to be OTM, and Bran as the lord of light, or at least as being very instrumental in so many things that he may as well be the lord of light... that has a lot of traction.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Anyone else get the impression that if Cersei were Dornish or Dothraki, the MSM would call her a terrorist without hesitation, but because she's a Lannister she is of course 'mentally ill' and a 'lone wolf'? #wakeupsheeple

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
(Sort of) sidenote to the amazing battle sequence: Totally jazzed to see Tyrion feeling so conflicted about which side he's on now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
bronn-game-of-thrones.jpg

The true king