Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Bullshit

i didnt read them to be honest, but i looked at the titles. they were a bit off putting. i still think you should keep it up though.

Ouija Board, Ouija Board: Bright Eyes’ Conor Oberst Interviewed

ATP Curated by Godspeed You! Black Emperor review

The Curious Case of Edgar Allan Poe and Eminem

Reformed Libertines Drop A Bomb on the Boogaloo

internet journalist writes 'thinkpieces' on indie musicians.
    not my sort of thing really but its very popular among a certain section of the student community. theres definitely a market for this sort of thing and you should keep it up.

Have a look at my other articles about politics if you like, but the prose is a little dreary for your tastes.

Via Private Eye:

The Olympic park has lost 75% of estimated value. The park, which contains the Olympic stadium, an aquatic centre and 250 acres of parkland and was bought for more than 750 million pounds, was valued at 138 million pounds if sold to one developer and 157 million pounds if sold in lots. In 2009 it was valued as being worth 2 billion pounds.

£40 million= taxpayer funding to Olympic opening/closing ceremonies.
    £50 million= annual cuts to services in Newham
    Last edited by matt b; 12-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.

I never understood the appeal of the opening ceremony. No sport is played, just an army of people in tracksuits walking round a track holding flags and the organisers basking in the glory of their achievements.

I can't decide if the Olympics or the high speed rail thing are the most wasteful domestic policies of the last decade. Both originate in the cauldron of New Labour, by the way, so it's not all the coalition's fault. But you have to question why a government whose raison d'etre is economic prudence wants to go ahead with the high speed railway. Over £30 billion is a modest estimate, since we all know how the budgets of public spending projects balloon. It gets you to Birmingham 15 minutes quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangpuss View Post
    I can't decide if the Olympics or the high speed rail thing are the most wasteful domestic policies of the last decade.
    Don't forget Trident! And I'm not talking about the Met nicking yardies...

Funny that the coalition has inherited some massively costly projects from New Labour, since the last government inherited the Millennium Dome, initiated under Major. I remember half-wondering at the time if the last Tory govt hadn't deliberately started a hugely expensive, high-profile public project that was likely to be a white elephant because they knew they were probably going to lose the next GE and just wanted to embarrass Blair.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Is Trident a domestic policy?

Is Trident a domestic policy?
    I took 'domestic' to mean excluding actual wars and other activity abroad - so you mean civil, as opposed to 'defence'-related?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Yes.

The dome was one of the weirder ideas, I've never really understood what it was supposed to be and I don't think anyone else does either. I guess it had a lot of private investment though didn't it or was that a con? How much did it cost the tax payer?

Well the late '90s were full of all this crap about 'Cool Britannia', weren't they? I seem to remember the Dome being billed as a kind of 21st-century version of the Festival of Britain or the Great Exhibition. No idea about where the cash came from or how much of it was ever made back. I think a lot of Lottery money went into it.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    The dome was one of the weirder ideas, I've never really understood what it was supposed to be and I don't think anyone else does either.

A report in one of yesterday's papers cited a report that says Olympics 2012 will cause more gridlock than expected. Bring on the four-hour crosstown bus journey!

A report in one of yesterday's papers cited a report that says Olympics 2012 will cause more gridlock than expected. Bring on the four-hour crosstown bus journey!
    It's actually gonna cause deaths - patients in areas affected by the Golden Mile or whatever round the Isle of Dogs where they're blocking off the roads with concrete won't be able to get to their doctors. Olympic Death Squad.

i get to work at home for a fortnight, wicked!