Olympic Bullshit

Leo

i remember liking "running wild", although read it a long time ago. a little different (ie, not as weirdly fucked up) from some of the above works like "crash". a short (100-page) murder/suspense story that actually made me say "holy shit!" at the end.

crackerjack

Isn't Jessica Ennis wonderful though?

Isn't she just.

Oh sorry, you were being sarcastic. Hold on while I get on-message.

Fuck her and the medal-winning flag-waving corporate-bullshit BoJo-voting hospital-closing Leni Riefenstahl baby-eating military-industrial security-state brand-Nazi Spice Girls-reforming horse she rode in on.

you

Isn't she just.

Oh sorry, you were being sarcastic. Hold on while I get on-message.

Fuck her and the medal-winning flag-waving corporate-bullshit BoJo-voting hospital-closing Leni Riefenstahl baby-eating military-industrial security-state brand-Nazi Spice Girls-reforming horse she rode in on.

I was only hoping to steer away from HPL/Ballard and back to London 2012 - 'thassall'

Crackerjack - give me some well founded retorts to the points I've put up so far - I'm interested to hear your response, you seem to be deeply cynical of any Olympic criticism.... I'd like you to outline the reasons why, not challenging you - just curious about a position miles away from mine.

crackerjack

I was only hoping to steer away from HPL/Ballard and back to London 2012 - 'thassall'

Crackerjack - give me some well founded retorts to the points I've put up so far - I'm interested to hear your response, you seem to be deeply cynical of any Olympic criticism.... I'd like you to outline the reasons why, not challenging you - just curious about a position miles away from mine.

There are plenty of well-founded objections to the Olympics – the cost (undertaken before the crash, but still), the ticket prices, the obsessive securitisation, 'Olympic lanes', the small-minded persecution of Olympic kebabs and all the rest of it and the corporate whoreacracy who run the whole thing.

But yeah, I am cynical about people comparing the opening ceremony to Nuremburg or slagging it off sight unseen. Or just the reflex position of some that they need to be pissing on a picnic just cos of everyone else is enjoying it.

you

appreciate the response crackerjack.

I understand about the default response, this is a very left leaning forum, remember who started it.... and I can understand the cynicism for those who automatically diss on anything that the majority enjoy.

I often ponder the dichotomy off the back of my own personal pursuits in sport. I am a natural outsider, always have been (for reasons I cannot go into) and so team sports, mass gatherings and national 'events' have always perplexed me at best and offended me at worst. I like sport (squash, mountain biking - they my main ones) but feel very uncomfortable with it's intrinsic attachment to Team, In/Out groups psychology etc and the dominant majority (whilst both my chosen pastimes are non-olympic sports I've come across enough clubs to understand the status). I wonder if there is a strict division between those who embrace the majority's position and those who question it - I feel that we need both. Both - in very precarious positions - for a healthy society. At the moment the critique of the majority (pro-olympic) is not very well documented, certainly not during the games in the mainstream media. Reverting back to my personal position for a minute I wonder about the political implications of those who do not automatically subscribe to the majority position (like myself).

When you say "pissing on a picnic because everyone else is enjoying it" I would respond that this is my default, emotional setting...- I am, and have always been, a soloist and outsider (for better or worse) - but I try to temper my tendencies with logical protocols and, vaguely, empirically based arguments. However, I do not see such stringent, reflective, reflexive or critical arguments from the opposition (certainly not in the media). I just see their position reiterated. SO whereas liberals prove their point, the right majority merely need to state it.

Is it this 'superfluous' content of the liberal left you are criticising? I'd like to hear you comments.

(bit smudged by this hour - apologies If the argument is touch clumsy)

Last edited:

you

even roadies can appreciate that! ;-)

Seriously though, that side of the sport pushed the technology to what we have now (suspension, disc brakes etc), put the 'mountain' bit back in the sport again, and is more spectator satisfying than XC....

craner

Beast of Burden
Tyson Gay, Asafa Powell, Sherone Simpson and Veronica Campbell-Brown have all tested positive for DRUGS, then.

Powell and Sherone Simpson have both been busted for taking Oxilofrine (ask Patrick Arnold). They both say that they did not take it intentionally, banking on the fact that it does appear in some dietry supplements. I don't know how testers prove or disprove this, but there must be some measure for deducing intention or not. There are a lot of very sophisiticated doping regimes, which are timed to perfection and mix a lot of designer steroids and stimulants in cycles to avoid detection at competitions, so I presume there is a larger story behind all of this. Three Jamaican sprinters suggests some larger design in Jamaican sprinting, so the next question is -- who is coaching them, where, and are they linked?

There has been a response along the lines of "don't tarnish Bolt with the sins of others." Well, as I said before, the burden of proof is against Bolt, not least because of the people he has chosen to work with. As I also mentioned last year, the idea that the Jamaicans are cleaner than the Americans is optimistic and ignorant.

At risk of being accused of racism again, this is almost the opposite of Chris Froome, who doesn't really have to defend anything, yet -- his record and his team say much. In this case, the burden is on those accusing.

version

London 2012's trending on Twitter atm. Weird.

London 2012 feels like the last time sanity prevailed in this fucking country.

London 2012 trending. That really was Britain at its peak wasn't it? Unforgettable and iconic.

I see London 2012 is trending. That was an awesome summer, wasn’t it? All been a bit downhill for us since, hasn’t it?

i see "london 2012" is trending. the majority of the nation still think the opening ceremony was some form of patriotism when it was actually predictive programming for covid-19.