Activities/Hobbies

grizzleb

Edit: the gym is pretty decent if you stick to it, you feel good and energised and all that stuff.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Co-sign on that, but I reckon combined with football, squash, something else, it works even better, cos as you say it's tricky to stick with it once you're used to the routine (or at least i found it like that)

luka

i remember corpsey saying he goes gym anyway. i think my advice is good advice and it was serious advice too.

luka

grizzle b sun and beer has frazzled my brain. can you explain what you mean. im having trouble focussing.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Meditation is still on the table. I'm put off by the hippy connotations, though. It all seems terrifying EARNEST.

Do it man! It's great. I can go on at length about how good it is.

Will try and do a longer post later today on what I do with my time, though I must say I'm envious of you if you have it any quanity. I don't thus I can't finish this post as I'd like.

alex

Do not read this.
Nice idea for a thread corpsey. I would recommend getting fit/going gym/running. If you don’t want to join a gym, (which, tbh I wouldn’t blame alot of people nowadays, as the chain gyms are full of cocksuckers who go in there best fucking gear, just to perve over all the women) try the ‘Bartending’ workout (there are lots of vid’s on youtube) it’s all with your own bodyweight and is really good for your core muscles and really develops strength, plus it offers an improvement over resistance training as it’s not a constant strain on your joints. And of course all you need really is a bar, so in the park you have the added advantage of working out in the fresh air, which, you don’t get in a sweaty smelly gym.

(Re: running, try the parkrun. It’s a 5k at your local park, completely free and they time you. No competitive aspect, but it depends on how serious you take it innit. They do insist on clapping adidas & lucozade at the start of each one, as they sponsor it, which I completely refuse to fucking do as they get enough of my fucking money)

Recently I’ve been playing short chess, only because a. I’m crap at the proper game b. It takes too long and i don’t have a good attention span and c. I actually won a game for the first time against my dad at Christmas, which has inspired me not to throw it out in temper. It’s a smaller board, doesn’t have all of the pieces, and it has the rules on each side, which, if you have a piece of shit memory like mine, you need every 5 minutes.

I also like drawing, fuck, i pass hours drawing sometimes, haven’t done it in ages mind, but that is a really good time filler.

Edit* sorry corpsey, wasn’t insinuating by my first post that you are out of shape or need to go gym, tbh mate you look rather sharp in that suit on f/book.

Yea I really enjoy riding my bike, that’s definitely a good one. My post sounds really patronising now come to think of it. Definitely going climbing soon, you guys have made it sound wicked.

edit 2* the majority of people who diss golf have never played, or have tried it and never been able to get the ball off the tea, it's definitely a seasonal thing, but I fucking love it

Luca’s advice is good providing you chase the right girl, if not you’re fucking yourself up, i do all this shit cause i want to forget about the bitches. Also on a serious note, they can bring all sorts of greif, depression, anger, the fucking lot. Not their fault tbh, it’s all in the mind.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Cycling?

You've got a few months to save up for a more than OK (2nd hand) road bike before the weather improves.

I started again last summer, after not riding properly for a couple of years- you get fit, see the countryside at a pace that allows you to appreciate it, explore, suffer. What's not to like?*

*As long as you don't get too sucked in to the n+1, upgrade stuff.

you

in no particular order

Reading - researching what to read
Blogging
Squash (good cheap fun sport, albeit indoors)
Mountain Biking (good, pricey, fun sport albeit winter)
Drinking
Galleries
Music
Internet

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Reading
Drinking
Music
Internet

Controversial suggestions for peoplewhohatereadingdrinkingmusicandtheinternet.com! Oh, hang on, this is Dissensus, isn't it? I always get those two confused. ;)

Last edited:

pork

Wild Swine
Regular exercise is the key isn't it? Especially if you're sat behind a desk all day. I should really be on half pay on days I don't cycle into work, lethargy.

I did Bikram Yoga quite intensively for a few months a couple of years ago and at the end of it I was as fit mentally and physically as I probably ever will be. It's way expensive normally though, I was doing the introduction offer so it was much cheaper. Plus the whole proprietary franchise thing runs counter to the general philosophy of yoga and Bikram himself appears to be a total prick. So yeah do yoga but maybe not bikram.

Also for anyone (like me) finding chess a bit to stretching there are loads of amazing boardgames around once you start digging. I highly recomend getting Carcassonne and getting all your mates hooked

S

simon silverdollar

me and my friends used to play this game we called 'grindcore chess'.

It's chess, but with Napalm Death's 'scum' LP playing really loud, and you have to complete your move before the end of the track.

As david byrne once sang, it's pretty intense.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Ha ha!

Getting a chess clock was a surprisingly smart move - you'd think it'd make the game more anal and competitive, but it actually makes it a lot easier to play quick throwaway games without both players getting gradually more serious and taking longer and everything getting bogged down and dragging on...

It also gives you quite a good way of doing a handicap if some of the people you play regularly are much better or worse than you - just give the better player much less time to think.

Cycling is also good. I don't have a proper road bike, just a decent commuter thing, but I can get out into the coutryside and get some fresh air and exercise and see some cool stuff. Would like to do some gentle touring this year as well.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Computer chess on yahoo is pretty good, despite the screen element. Can have very quick games, always an opponent. I found it quite therapeutic.

slowtrain

Yoga is a weird cult, be very careful with yoga.

I have found drawing and writing to be quite good.

I used to agonise immensely over those because I am well beyond the realm of ultra-shit, but then I decided that thats cool, I don't care if I'm shit. I never re-read/look at them, and I will probably just bury all the books at the end of 36 years.