Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: afrobeats

Quote Originally Posted by carmen View Post

anyways.. i dont know what the name for this stuff is.. you hear it on the pirates late at night..
    Soca innit

dont think you can tell carmen about soca. s/he will laugh at you

yes representation of new urban styles from Africa in Europe/America is always a problem. and not only semantically, and not only by the westerners.

i played at the Ghana night of WorldTronics festival here in Berlin last year, and dropped beats for Appietus, Braddez, etc. some of the biggest names in Hiplife. and the entire night i felt did not even represent real Hiplife culture. musically the entire evening to me sounded way too influenced by US hiphop, and not nearly enough of the real Hiplife that i love. which is terrible because i can see how someone not familiar, which is most, would come away having really wrong ideas about what Hiplife is.

anyways.. i dont know what the name for this stuff is.. you hear it on the pirates late at night..
    i think it's some kind of coupe decale, and doesn't sound like it's from Ivory Coast, but some kind of either Congolese or something version of Coupe... as the style is becoming really popular in other parts.
    Last edited by zhao; 22-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Sarkodie tune is ace, I like that Oleku thing as well. Will have to go deeper into this, from what I've heard so far it's definitely no substitute for uk funky, way too soft, but I've heard bugger all so far

Quote Originally Posted by routes View Post
    afrobeat mashups don't belong in this thread and anyhow these are horribly uninspired and sounds like shit.

especially the second tune, slowing down Charles Kofi Amankwaa Mann's all time infectious hi-life power to a languid listless and lifeless IDM beat.

fucking atrocious.

i dunno if it's good or not i couldn't be bothered to listen to it

i think the pricks involved with this afrobeats thing are clever calling it that cos it won't alienate the dancers from gha or naija or sa or drc or wherever... i checked that abrantee mix and it's funny that he's taking tunes that are big already and playing them in LDN as dubplates

i think the pricks involved with this afrobeats thing are clever calling it that cos it won't alienate the dancers from gha or naija or sa or drc or wherever... i checked that abrantee mix and it's funny that he's taking tunes that are big already and playing them in LDN as dubplates
    I guess the Abrantee mix is designed as a sort of easy entry point into this stuff. I must say I'm loving it at the moment, can't stop playing it. But if you've got any pointers to even better mixes I should check out, please share them.

I like nearly every song on the mix, They all sound very anthemic. Slightly less keen on the more hip hoppy stuff and Ice Prince's voice grates on me, but everything else is brilliant. How old are some of these tunes?

this is absolutely mental. More please.

yeah definitely want to hear more of that

thanx for link carmen, this is great

seems like that guardian article has caused a bit of a stink

fresh Ghana mix, and another killer from AKWAABA.

and this dude in the video above is just promoting his radio show with this name that he is obviously motivated to make into a "genre". i seriously doubt his claim that the name came from Africa; i seriously doubt Naija or Hiplife artists in Nigeria and Ghana are like "oh i make Afrobeats music. that's what my style is called."

and these new urban musics have not much to do with Fela at all.
    Last edited by zhao; 30-01-2012 at 03:52 PM.

i think the pricks involved with this afrobeats thing are clever calling it that cos it won't alienate the dancers from gha or naija or sa or drc or wherever...
    especially considering the ongoing rivalry/beef between Ghana and Nigeria, this guy's claim that "Africans are calling 'it' 'Afrobeats'" seems even more ludicrous.

can you imagine Hiplife and Naija artists saying "oh yeah we all make the same kind of music. it is called Afrobeats"