Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: afrobeats

you might not fully understand the context zhao. this is in england.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    you might not fully understand the context zhao. this is in england.
    ... a place where people are allowed to publicly spout off any nonsense in the interest of self promotion, no matter what entire foreign cultures are ludicrously homogenized in the process?

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    especially considering the ongoing rivalry/beef between Ghana and Nigeria, this guy's claim that "Africans are calling 'it' 'Afrobeats'" seems even more ludicrous.

can you imagine Hiplife and Naija artists saying "oh yeah we all make the same kind of music. it is called Afrobeats"
    you know what? i'm going to take calling bullshit on this silly wanker to the next level and ask Appietus about usage of this stupid term in Ghana, probably the most significant and prolific producer, artist, and architect in the Hiplife scene for many years.

i just mention it zhao because although i am not african i am english and a significant part of my close family is african english. ie my step mother my brother and one of my sisters so im just suggesting you might not understand the context this discussion is taking place in.

of course it is a marketing term.

the african diaspora in england is not big enough to sustain inter national rivalries in any significant way. if they want to make an impression on the local market it makes sense for them to band together. does this make sense to you?

africans were always looked down upon in the uk by west inidans. they were figures of fun. do you understand this? can you see how this would helpto create a group identity?

you are an american with chinese ancestry. you have never been to the uk. shush.

you seem to think you have more right to play african music than an actual african/ you seem to think you know more about africa than an african. sorry mate, thats delusional.

everything about African expats banding together makes sense, but that last bit about me thinking i have more rights to play african music than Africans... where the hell you getting that from?

abrantee is african. youre acting like you know more about africa than him.

is that likely? in my brothers school the number 1 pastime was west indians vs africans gang fight. not serious. not stabbing or anything. mostly for fun. but those were the sides. it wasnt ghana vs nigeria.

abrantee is african. youre acting like you know more about africa than him.
    judging from the silly shit coming out of his mouth, i probably do.

plenty of American or European friends of mine know more about Chinese culture than i do. ain't nothing strange about that. for instance i have friends who are crazy about Beijing Opera, and can talk for days about its history or stylistic variations -- something which i've no knowledge about what so ever, even though it is the place of my birth and childhood.

but that doesn't explain this:
    you seem to think you have more right to play african music than an actual african
    explain or apologize.
    Last edited by zhao; 03-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.

ive never apologised in my life. im not likely to start now. end of conversation.

ive never apologised in my life. im not likely to start now. end of conversation.
    luka you seem to think that the holocaust never happened. sorry mate, but that is delusional.