Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: afrobeats

Default afrobeats

Dan Hancock on afrobeats (not afrobeat). I was really into Ice Prince "Oleku" last year but admit I just figured an African act had finally found a way through the major label channels.
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

Ah right, Luka posted up the Sneakbo version of Oliver Twist the other day which I like a lot. Hadn't realised this was a 'thing' though, just thought that it was a UK Funky tune with an African vocal. Could be interesting, I like that Sarkodie tune thats linked in the guardian article too.

Afrobeats (like UK Funky) is a pretty lame name for it though.

Any mixes of this stuff floating about?

edit, nevermind, theres a link in the article to this one, I'll be checking it out
    http://www.abrantee.com/
    Last edited by Benny B; 20-01-2012 at 06:04 PM.

I been listening to aload of naija pop/dancehall stuff recently I enjoyed this guys mixes (well the music in them) http://www.afromontreal.com/e/general/play.asp?id=17634 just been browsing random tracks through youtube really but alotof its quite fun.
    Last edited by muser; 20-01-2012 at 06:25 PM.

loads of good stuff on the LiberiaMusictv channel

the abrantee mix is good. I like this one from it.
    Last edited by Benny B; 20-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.

the afrobeat thing has been getting very big in the 'goon' funky events of late. I posted up the azonto dance in the funky thread and got air pie, so here it is again

might be thinking, why post that video

but watch how people are dancing to funky and afrobeats. Same dance

Yeah they are the same aren't they?

I love this diva one off that mix too, would fit so sweetly into a funky set

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    the abrantee mix is good. I like this one from it.
    they're spitting over the instrumental from 5five - Move Back which is a total rip off of a kwaito house tune...all these tracks are great though

i like that zaza twins coupe decaler instro an a couple dbanj tunes.
    keep posting.

I've listened to Oleku 20 times in the last 12 hours. But I'm enjoying this stuff a lot. Listening to Kiss in the gym has softened me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    I like this one from it.
    that was a big hit last summer in certain dances.. HEY BABAAA

do you london people know about Dj Neptizzle? i hear he's the king of hiplife over there.

and it don't really matter what people are deciding to call it this month in the UK... this non-sensical, non-descriptive and confusing "name", if it's even any kind of a "name" for "it", if "it" was any kind of cohesive thing which needs a name, will not last long.

i mean the quite different genres, with quite different production values, vocal sensibilities and all over style from the different countries ALREADY HAVE names: HIplife, Naija, Boomba (Kenya), etc. it's like if people decide to put grime and hiphop together in one category and call it "Street Shit"
    Last edited by zhao; 02-02-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    what people are deciding to call it this month....non-sensical, non-descriptive and confusing "name", if it's even any kind of a "name" for "it", if "it" was any kind of cohesive thing which needs a name
    it is some strange pastine engaged by journalists. /dubstep/ seemed like a pretty lame name seeing it on an XLR8R cover circa 2001. i guess derived from jamaican toast samples being used in Tempa tunes, and UKG being called "2-step" by american journalists, not to be confused with 2-step jungle (see Paradox's 'all you 2-step bastards leave our planet' which im pretty sure wasnt talking about UKG?)

theres a certain lag involved too. listening to DJSL and Scanner.Irational's london-pirate streams in 2000/1 you'd hear "grimey!" when someone dropped Pulse X so at least it was coined by MC's/DJs but theyd moved onto some other adjective before i ever saw it in print.

anyways.. i dont know what the name for this stuff is.. you hear it on the pirates late at night..