routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i dunno if it's good or not i couldn't be bothered to listen to it

i think the pricks involved with this afrobeats thing are clever calling it that cos it won't alienate the dancers from gha or naija or sa or drc or wherever... i checked that abrantee mix and it's funny that he's taking tunes that are big already and playing them in LDN as dubplates

Benny Bunter

i think the pricks involved with this afrobeats thing are clever calling it that cos it won't alienate the dancers from gha or naija or sa or drc or wherever... i checked that abrantee mix and it's funny that he's taking tunes that are big already and playing them in LDN as dubplates

I guess the Abrantee mix is designed as a sort of easy entry point into this stuff. I must say I'm loving it at the moment, can't stop playing it. But if you've got any pointers to even better mixes I should check out, please share them.

I like nearly every song on the mix, They all sound very anthemic. Slightly less keen on the more hip hoppy stuff and Ice Prince's voice grates on me, but everything else is brilliant. How old are some of these tunes?

zhao

there are no accidents
fresh Ghana mix, and another killer from AKWAABA.

and this dude in the video above is just promoting his radio show with this name that he is obviously motivated to make into a "genre". i seriously doubt his claim that the name came from Africa; i seriously doubt Naija or Hiplife artists in Nigeria and Ghana are like "oh i make Afrobeats music. that's what my style is called."

and these new urban musics have not much to do with Fela at all.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i think the pricks involved with this afrobeats thing are clever calling it that cos it won't alienate the dancers from gha or naija or sa or drc or wherever...

especially considering the ongoing rivalry/beef between Ghana and Nigeria, this guy's claim that "Africans are calling 'it' 'Afrobeats'" seems even more ludicrous.

can you imagine Hiplife and Naija artists saying "oh yeah we all make the same kind of music. it is called Afrobeats" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

zhao

there are no accidents
you might not fully understand the context zhao. this is in england.

... a place where people are allowed to publicly spout off any nonsense in the interest of self promotion, no matter what entire foreign cultures are ludicrously homogenized in the process?

zhao

there are no accidents
especially considering the ongoing rivalry/beef between Ghana and Nigeria, this guy's claim that "Africans are calling 'it' 'Afrobeats'" seems even more ludicrous.

can you imagine Hiplife and Naija artists saying "oh yeah we all make the same kind of music. it is called Afrobeats" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

you know what? i'm going to take calling bullshit on this silly wanker to the next level and ask Appietus about usage of this stupid term in Ghana, probably the most significant and prolific producer, artist, and architect in the Hiplife scene for many years.

luka

i just mention it zhao because although i am not african i am english and a significant part of my close family is african english. ie my step mother my brother and one of my sisters so im just suggesting you might not understand the context this discussion is taking place in.

luka

the african diaspora in england is not big enough to sustain inter national rivalries in any significant way. if they want to make an impression on the local market it makes sense for them to band together. does this make sense to you?

luka

africans were always looked down upon in the uk by west inidans. they were figures of fun. do you understand this? can you see how this would helpto create a group identity?

luka

you are an american with chinese ancestry. you have never been to the uk. shush.

luka

you seem to think you have more right to play african music than an actual african/ you seem to think you know more about africa than an african. sorry mate, thats delusional.

zhao

there are no accidents
everything about African expats banding together makes sense, but that last bit about me thinking i have more rights to play african music than Africans... where the hell you getting that from?