luka

is that likely? in my brothers school the number 1 pastime was west indians vs africans gang fight. not serious. not stabbing or anything. mostly for fun. but those were the sides. it wasnt ghana vs nigeria.

zhao

there are no accidents
abrantee is african. youre acting like you know more about africa than him.

judging from the silly shit coming out of his mouth, i probably do.

plenty of American or European friends of mine know more about Chinese culture than i do. ain't nothing strange about that. for instance i have friends who are crazy about Beijing Opera, and can talk for days about its history or stylistic variations -- something which i've no knowledge about what so ever, even though it is the place of my birth and childhood.

but that doesn't explain this:
you seem to think you have more right to play african music than an actual african

explain or apologize.

Last edited:

luka

ive never apologised in my life. im not likely to start now. end of conversation.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
so this guy has a radio show called Afrobeats. he has a night called Afrobeats. he wants people to think Afrobeats is a genre so he'll get bookings and influence and money, but he's a clever prick so he does an interview to deny that he's the originator and he's just part of 'the movement' to spread 'Afrobeats', simultaneously legitimising it and distancing himself from it lol

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
also yeah as Luka says there is a UK African group identity thing definitely, but the individual cultures have always been important when they go home to mama and nowadays there's Gha vs Naija warz in LDN schools, i seen it. if anything the Naija kidz are running tings, they get strength from Skeppy/JME etc etc etc.. now check that Silva - Bo Won Sem Mame tunea gain.. the vid is in a Gha barber shop, the hook is Gha, they're bigging up Gha all day, it's definitely not an African diaspora ting LOL

thing is, Naija kids secretly big up Gha kids for having pride in their own culture cos they remember what it was like to be bagged together as 'Africans' by the West Indian kids. Presumably that's the space that this Afrobeats guy is moving to and looking to exploit.

btw what's this about Wiley making beats on an afro flex? does that just mean he's makin house trax with digi bongos hah

zhao

there are no accidents
btw what's this about Wiley making beats on an afro flex? does that just mean he's makin house trax with digi bongos hah

i got a coupla recent-ish funky-ish tunes from him, one is called "link up". don't know if that's what you mean?

zhao

there are no accidents
so this guy has a radio show called Afrobeats. he has a night called Afrobeats. he wants people to think Afrobeats is a genre so he'll get bookings and influence and money, but he's a clever prick so he does an interview to deny that he's the originator and he's just part of 'the movement' to spread 'Afrobeats', simultaneously legitimising it and distancing himself from it lol

yeah i guess it's no big deal. i just think it's misrepresenting and homogenizing the cultures. people already think africa is a country fachrissakes.

also why are they bringing up Fela Kuti. Fela has less to do with Naija and Hiplife than someone like Papa Wemba -- and Soukous is historically the biggest African music export, NOT Afrobeat.

luka

i wouldnt really get excited to honest. obviously individual cultures are important, but if you go rave to soca you might see everyone waving the flag of their island but theyre in the same dance. not all african in london are from nigeria and ghana. you got gambians, cameroonians, etc etc and if youre trying to build a little movement why exclude these people. having an umbrella term makes sense to me. its not like africans dont listen to music from other african countries. theres usually one country that is on top musically and has hits across the whole area. whether abrantee is a prick or not is immaterial. obviously hes a self-prmoter but who in the public eye isnt these days.

luka

we're talking about the UK where the african population isnt really that big. its big but its not that big.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Ye good points I agree. I only call him a prick because he's obviously talented and smart and he's on a fierce hustle, he has a nice smile and he's not afraid to use it. If he hadn't done this Afrobeats thing it would probably have been necessary for someone to.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
just listened to the mix. weak sauce.

general selection lackluster. random 30 tunes in my hiplife and naija folders would be tastier.
and worst use of Cabo Snoop's SLAMMING kudruo banger Windeck i've heard on a mix.

only good thing is the added motivation to make an Ngoma vocal pop mix, something been meaning to do for a while anyway.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Can you make a better/'arder one/have you already made one? It felt kind of weak to me too

guess you commented while i was editing in the bit in post above about plans to make a PROPER vocal pop mix. maybe for jokes i'll also call it "Afrobeats Vol. 1" lol

Benny Bunter

just listened to the mix. weak sauce.

general selection lackluster. random 30 tunes in my hiplife and naija folders would be tastier.
and worst use of Cabo Snoop's SLAMMING kudruo banger Windeck i've heard on a mix.

only good thing is the added motivation to make an Ngoma vocal pop mix, something been meaning to do for a while anyway.

Stop being mean zhao, this mix is a great listen!

I'm assuming its just a selection of anthems and as an introduction to these sounds, it does its job pretty effectively. The mixing isn't owt special granted, but I get the impression that doesn't really matter too much with this stuff. Nor do think the 'hard' tracks are necessarily the best. Loving some of these throwaway poppy things on there.

Will definitely check your mix out though if you do one, I'm close to rinsing the abrantee one out completely.

zhao

there are no accidents
Stop being mean zhao, this mix is a great listen!

I'm assuming its just a selection of anthems and as an introduction to these sounds, it does its job pretty effectively. The mixing isn't owt special granted, but I get the impression that doesn't really matter too much with this stuff. Nor do think the 'hard' tracks are necessarily the best. Loving some of these throwaway poppy things on there.

Will definitely check your mix out though if you do one, I'm close to rinsing the abrantee one out completely.

just calling a spade a spade Benny. having listened to and played a lot of these types of musics, that is my honest opinion.

of course it's not about being "hard". Afro-Pop is about sweetness and groove. they are saccharin love songs for the most part (but the good stuff transcends cheesiness). and that's precisely why a hard banger like Windeck has no place in it -- Windeck doesn't bang like it should in this context, AND breaks up the love vibes.

while mixing may not be relatively as important as some other musics, but flow IS - something also lacking here.

and speaking of love vibes, this is the closest thing i've done to this type of Afro-Pop so far, a predominantly Angolan Kizomba, Zouk, and Tarraxinha mix.

Last edited:

luka

still think youre missing the point. read what me and routes wrote. think about it. slowly.