Blackdown

nexKeysound
Dan Hancock on afrobeats (not afrobeat). I was really into Ice Prince "Oleku" last year but admit I just figured an African act had finally found a way through the major label channels.

Benny Bunter

Ah right, Luka posted up the Sneakbo version of Oliver Twist the other day which I like a lot. Hadn't realised this was a 'thing' though, just thought that it was a UK Funky tune with an African vocal. Could be interesting, I like that Sarkodie tune thats linked in the guardian article too.

Benny Bunter

Afrobeats (like UK Funky) is a pretty lame name for it though.

Any mixes of this stuff floating about?

edit, nevermind, theres a link in the article to this one, I'll be checking it out
http://www.abrantee.com/

Last edited:

outraygeous

the afrobeat thing has been getting very big in the 'goon' funky events of late. I posted up the azonto dance in the funky thread and got air pie, so here it is again

might be thinking, why post that video

but watch how people are dancing to funky and afrobeats. Same dance

Benny Bunter

Yeah they are the same aren't they?

I love this diva one off that mix too, would fit so sweetly into a funky set

comelately

Wild Horses
I've listened to Oleku 20 times in the last 12 hours. But I'm enjoying this stuff a lot. Listening to Kiss in the gym has softened me up.

zhao

there are no accidents
do you london people know about Dj Neptizzle? i hear he's the king of hiplife over there.

and it don't really matter what people are deciding to call it this month in the UK... this non-sensical, non-descriptive and confusing "name", if it's even any kind of a "name" for "it", if "it" was any kind of cohesive thing which needs a name, will not last long.

i mean the quite different genres, with quite different production values, vocal sensibilities and all over style from the different countries ALREADY HAVE names: HIplife, Naija, Boomba (Kenya), etc. it's like if people decide to put grime and hiphop together in one category and call it "Street Shit"

Last edited:

carmen

 
what people are deciding to call it this month....non-sensical, non-descriptive and confusing "name", if it's even any kind of a "name" for "it", if "it" was any kind of cohesive thing which needs a name

it is some strange pastine engaged by journalists. /dubstep/ seemed like a pretty lame name seeing it on an XLR8R cover circa 2001. i guess derived from jamaican toast samples being used in Tempa tunes, and UKG being called "2-step" by american journalists, not to be confused with 2-step jungle (see Paradox's 'all you 2-step bastards leave our planet' which im pretty sure wasnt talking about UKG?)

theres a certain lag involved too. listening to DJSL and Scanner.Irational's london-pirate streams in 2000/1 you'd hear "grimey!" when someone dropped Pulse X so at least it was coined by MC's/DJs but theyd moved onto some other adjective before i ever saw it in print.

anyways.. i dont know what the name for this stuff is.. you hear it on the pirates late at night..

zhao

there are no accidents
yes representation of new urban styles from Africa in Europe/America is always a problem. and not only semantically, and not only by the westerners.

i played at the Ghana night of WorldTronics festival here in Berlin last year, and dropped beats for Appietus, Braddez, etc. some of the biggest names in Hiplife. and the entire night i felt did not even represent real Hiplife culture. musically the entire evening to me sounded way too influenced by US hiphop, and not nearly enough of the real Hiplife that i love. which is terrible because i can see how someone not familiar, which is most, would come away having really wrong ideas about what Hiplife is.

anyways.. i dont know what the name for this stuff is.. you hear it on the pirates late at night..
i think it's some kind of coupe decale, and doesn't sound like it's from Ivory Coast, but some kind of either Congolese or something version of Coupe... as the style is becoming really popular in other parts.

Last edited:

rrrivero

Sarkodie tune is ace, I like that Oleku thing as well. Will have to go deeper into this, from what I've heard so far it's definitely no substitute for uk funky, way too soft, but I've heard bugger all so far