*** Rescue the London Stone !!!!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hasn't it already moved once from its original place?

Yep, several times. I don't really see the problem as long as it's moved carefully and not very far, and put somewhere people can still see it. It could hardly be in a humbler and less conspicuous spot than it is now.

Last year I was in that part of town one evening and decided on a whim to have a look at the thing, since I'd just written a story about it. I was having a pint in The Bell just around the corner and texted my girlfriend about the weird little monolith - turned out she'd just been reading about it online, which was kind of cool.

sufi

lala
ok all here's the petition
sign it & pass it on!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/28200

With 100 days to go til the election of a new Mayor, London's oldest relic is under threat. Which candidate even cares about this long-neglected symbol of London's vigour that has survived countless milliennia in the centre of the city? For eons Londoners venerated the stone and believed that London's prosperity depended on it. Now it is stuck in a wall on cannon street, facing eviction or demolition at the hands of property developers. This petition is for the London Stone to receive the respect and protection it deserves. It should be reinstated as proud and prominent symbol of this 21st century megacity.

sufi

lala
so far then that makes 3 big votes (3rd was my friend H), Dissensus hype machine firing on all cylinders :D

sufi

lala
Wow, the power of the dissensus online campaigning machine has overturned centuries of neglect and reinstated the LS into a righteously prominent status,

https://www.theguardian.com/science...raphers-landmark-london-stone-on-show-at-last

Planning permission has been granted for ... a special raised plinth so that the artefact can be viewed by the public. During the building works, it is hoped that London Stone will be displayed in the Museum of London for about 20 months from late spring.

well done all, it was a long haul and a hard slog but we made it!

dissensus meetup & make appropriate sacrificial offerings when it's reinstalled, anyone?

Timur’s Tomb and World War II

The “curse” Timur’s Tomb changed the course of the War two times, the first time when Stalin opened it, and the second when he returned the remains to the tomb.

Stalin ordered anthropologist and historian Mikhail Gerasimov to open the Timur’s Tomb in 1941. At the time, Gerasimov was a known and popular anthropologist famous for reconstructing a face from a skull. His job was to do that with Timur’s skull, and Mikhail succeeded. Soviets opened the Tomb on June 20, 1942. The tomb was immediately filed with odor of camphor, resin, rose and frankincense. Research showed that the odor was coming from the oils used for embalming. Two days after the Soviets opened the Tomb, Hitler and Nazis invaded Russia. The invasion came without formal declaration of War. The operation was known as “Operation Barbarossa”. It is worth noting that three elder men warned Gerasimov and the Soviets that the Tomb is cursed and something might happen. The men told the Soviets that the curse takes effect after 3 days. The Soviet Union suffered numerous defeats at the hand of Hitler. And even though the Nazi were far from conquering Russia, they made progress.

Then, after few months, Stalin started believing in the curse, and ordered that the remains of Timur be returned to the Tomb. Stalin ordered that the process is done with full Islamic burial rights. The Soviets returned the remains to the tomb in December 1942. Nearly a month later, the Nazi surrendered and Stalin won the Battle of Stalingrad. The battle remains as one of the bloodiest in the history of mankind, not just the World War II.