Voynich Manuscript

slowtrain

An iguanadon right?

Thats the one.

I'm fairly sure that that was one of those early paleontology fuck ups and it never had those thumbs/they were the horns of some other beast or something, but still pretty cool.

woops

is not like other people
you're right, the 'thumbs' were actually on top of it's reptilian nose, but the boffins at the Natural History Museum were like ???

luka

prince-valiant-dragon.jpg

slowtrain

And an iguana as well! Also ink caps.

In a somewhat different vein, the Where's Wally? books are brilliant too. Though I'm sure that goes without saying.

And the I Spy books.

I still remember feeling the Treasure Hunt had this terribly sad and empty atmosphere even as a kid.

beach_spread.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Another (almost) untranslatable document

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohonc_Codex

These things are brilliant. I love the way that the original (the Voynich one) is associated with Roger Bacon and John Dee - is it just me or is John Dee (supposedly) at the root of every weird thing that happened in the middle ages?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"In a somewhat different vein, the Where's Wally? books are brilliant too. Though I'm sure that goes without saying."
Didn't the Where's Wally guy copy it totally off this though?

Wheres-Massive-Erect-Penis.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually I think Wally/Waldo was nicked off that Japanese guy who did Anno's Journey and the rest of the series. He travelled through Europe and you had to find him on each page which had loads of other interesting stuff such as characters from fairy tales etc

annos-journey-5.jpg

slowtrain

Another (almost) untranslatable document

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohonc_Codex

These things are brilliant. I love the way that the original (the Voynich one) is associated with Roger Bacon and John Dee - is it just me or is John Dee (supposedly) at the root of every weird thing that happened in the middle ages?

There is that great bit in Foucaults Pendulum, where this dude (can't remember his name? Kelley?) is writing works for Shakespeare, who is writing works for Bacon, who is writing works for Dee, who is just sort of overlording the whole thing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"There is that great bit in Foucaults Pendulum, where this dude (can't remember his name? Kelley?) is writing works for Shakespeare, who is writing works for Bacon, who is writing works for Dee, who is just sort of overlording the whole thing."
It would be Kelley who was an associate of John Dee - but that's Francis Bacon who is sometimes believed to have written Shakespeare's stuff - the rumours about the Voynich Manuscript (at least according to the wiki article) attribute it to Roger Bacon who lived a couple of hundred years earlier.
John Dee and Kelley and Francis Bacon were sixteenth/seventeenth century - it seems that the manuscript was created before that - John Dee's name onlhy apppears in the story as someone who might have owned it at one point after (Roger) Bacon wrote it and sold it into Europe. More likely he just turns up cos it makes a good story better.

slowtrain

It would be Kelley who was an associate of John Dee - but that's Francis Bacon who is sometimes believed to have written Shakespeare's stuff - the rumours about the Voynich Manuscript (at least according to the wiki article) attribute it to Roger Bacon who lived a couple of hundred years earlier.
John Dee and Kelley and Francis Bacon were sixteenth/seventeenth century - it seems that the manuscript was created before that - John Dee's name onlhy apppears in the story as someone who might have owned it at one point after (Roger) Bacon wrote it and sold it into Europe. More likely he just turns up cos it makes a good story better.

Oh yeah, I was just talking about Dee always crops up around these things.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yeah, I was just talking about Dee always crops up around these things.

Dee is a fascinating character and probably deserves his own thread.

I was talking to my girlfriend about him the other day and she accidentally called him Jack Dee by mistake. We had fun imagining a sketch featuring Jack Dee as John Dee: The Most Sarcastic Alchemist In The World.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Voynich is not a hoax, contains real information, according to new analysis.

“In our analysis, we used an information-theoretical measure that quantifies the amount of information that the distribution of words bears about the sections where they appear in the text. Words that are uniformly scattered contribute little or no information, since their distribution cannot tag any specific section of the text. On the contrary, words that appear only in certain contextual domains contribute much information, because their distribution identifies those specific sections,” Dr Montemurro and Dr Zanette wrote in a paper published in the open-access journal PLoS ONE.

“The semantic networks we obtained clearly show that related words tend to share structure similarities. This also happens to a certain degree in real languages,” Dr Montemurro explained. “It unlikely that these features were simply ‘incorporated’ into the text to make a hoax more realistic, as most of the required academic knowledge of these structures did not exist at the time the Voynich manuscript was created.”

Pretty cool!

IdleRich

IdleRich
It does seem to be way more sophisticated than it would have needed to be (or even could have been) if it was a hoax.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So I bought a copy of the Codex Seraphinianus the other day. The new edition is only 40-odd quid on Amazon. Well mint.

codex03.jpg