Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cocktails

I made a few cocktails over christmas, nothing fancy just tasty drinks.

For christmas morning I thought an espresso martini would be cool.

1/3 vodka chilled
    1/3 espresso chilled
    1/3 kahlua chilled

Mix and pour over ice.

For some random day afterwards I made a Nigel Slater concoction:

1/3 Prosecco (or whatever, anything white and fizzy I guess)
    1/3 Calvados
    1/3 Cloudy Apple Juice
    Frozen Raspberries

Gorgeous, quite a wintery, blokey drink.

Also, a white russian is a nice drink too.....

where did you get the espresso from?have you got an espresso machine?

mum has, christmas with parents....

i got a massive barrell of saurkraut now and i dont know what to o with it. any ideas> im vegetarian.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Whoever mentioned mint earlier is OTM. Not sure I've ever had a julep as such (what's in one?) but properly made mojitos are the fucking bomb. There's a bar in Geneva that does amazing ones, they're pricey but you get a blend of dark, golden and white rums - proper stuff, none of your Bacardi nonsense - and you can get a rum top-up as you drink it. Such a pleasant way to get slaughtered.

I made some banana daiquiris for a house party a few years ago, they went down pretty well. Wray & Nephew's overproof rum, oh my word...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i remember my mate telling me he liked making a Spanish tortilla-style omelette but with potatoes and saurkraut instead of potatoes and onions. not tried it myself but sounds pretty good tbh

make your own triple sec/orange liqueur, looks interesting

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ls-recipe.html

the only cocktail i drink is whiskey and stout

although last night sometime poured herbal tea in my whiskey - it was ok

anyone got any tips for london cocktails places for nice evening/meal out? E Central.

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    anyone got any tips for london cocktails places for nice evening/meal out? E Central.
    Yeah Dick Bradsell's new place The Pink Chihuahua on Brewer Street
    http://www.diffordsguide.com/pubs-an...%20El%20Camion
    Have the expresso martini. Your life wont ever be the same. Upstairs is a Mexican where you can eat as well as drink his concoctions I think? Ring to check that tho. I cant afford to eat and drink at the same time.

completely agree on the mint front - not tried a mint julep but i love mojitos... how hard are they to make? anyone ever tried to make a homemade one?

is it really this simple: (http://www.cocktailmaking.co.uk/disp...p/585-Mojito):

3 shots white rum
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    half lime(s)
    mint leaves
    ??

i could have sworn mojitos have a mixer in them but maybe not. also tips for the white rum? bacardi OK?

Soda water is the mixer you're thinking of. If you're going to use a white rum my suggestions would be Appleton or Traveller's. That new Lamb's white rum is also decent. I'd avoid regular Bacardi because I find it has a harshness that can be masked by a very sweet mixer (coke or pineapple maybe) but isn't great in less sweet cocktails.

Generally I would use a light golden rum for mojitos though. Dunno how traditional that is, but it's my preferred taste. Havana Club 3 is pretty widely available and I've found it to be good for this kind of thing.

I also sometimes add a splash of angostura bitters across the surface of the drink. I first saw it done in Barcelona and it allows you to increase the sugar content of the drink whilst still retaining an element of dryness. A lot of bars in Barcelona seem to use a brown (demerera?) sugar syrup, rather than solid sugar. I guess you could use regular simple syrup or gomme, but maybe you'd want to compensate by then using a rum with a slightly stronger molasses flavour?

I have generally found that if the cocktail seems to be not quite right, just add more rum the next time round, and after two or three drinks the problem will somehow have solved itself.

Quote Originally Posted by benw View Post
    completely agree on the mint front - not tried a mint julep but i love mojitos... how hard are they to make? anyone ever tried to make a homemade one?

is it really this simple: (http://www.cocktailmaking.co.uk/disp...p/585-Mojito):

3 shots white rum
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    half lime(s)
    mint leaves
    ??

i could have sworn mojitos have a mixer in them but maybe not. also tips for the white rum? bacardi OK?

So, put off by the expense of Triple Sec I'm going to make some myself! I've ordered some dried bitter orange peel from US Ebay, will report back.

Following this recipe which uses half vodka and half brandy as the base spirit but you can use just one of them.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ls-recipe.html

So, i finished off the DIY orange liquor and it's gorgeous.

I followed the recipe above but used less sugar as per the comments on the page. I used a light brown sugar which has coloured the resulting liquid to a dark brandy-ish colour. I sampled it against the triple sec I already have and I'd say home-made is nicer, a much stronger and sweeter orange taste and that slight hint of burnt sugar or caramel from the brown sugar rather than white.

I'm going to do a totally clear one with a vodka base and white sugar next, triple sec style. Maybe some different spices beyond cloves too... (Wicked xmas present also and not too expensive with a bottle of duty free vodka)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_(cocktail)
    This cocktail has a pickled onion in it. Had one last night. Me and woops once drank 15 cocktails between us in a six hour stint. A great achievement that we would tell our kids about if we had kids which we don't