"The Hum" (Mysterious pulsing low-frequency sound heard mostly at night)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not to be a party pooper but are you sure it's not tinnitus? Had a bit of that myself a few years ago, it was a sort of low hum or rumble rather than the usual high-pitched whine. Went away by itself, thankfully.

It took me a while to figure out it was tinnitus, it really sounded like an actual external sound. And to start with I only heard it an night because it was pretty quiet and would be drowned out by most daytime sounds.

That said, I've heard of this phenomenon and I'm sure there are real sounds too.

Last edited:

connect_icut

In my case, I think it's probably hypersensitivity caused by stress/anxiety but it really does "feel" like an external sound. I'm attracted to the theory that it's caused by an overload of microwaves in the environment but the only people who actually believe that all seem to be crazy conspiracy nuts.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My tinnitus phase coincided with some fairly bad stress - as it happens all my hair fell out, too (got it back since, thankfully). Apparently it's an autoimmune thing.

connect_icut

The tinnitus aspect is plausible in my case too because I've been listening to far more music on headphones recently than I normally would. Plus I have a cold, which is making my ears congested, which always gives me some ringing in my ears.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Haven't clicked the link cos I fear it will be one of those things you will only experience once you're addressed to it's existence. Kinda like a ticking clock, they're okay when you don't notice them but the moment you get told there is one or the moment you start to hear it you'll go nuts. Or at least, I do.

connect_icut

Yeah, my missus is complaining about me mentioning this to her because now she can hear it. But really it seems like there's not much you can do about it, so you just have to get used to it.

nomos

Administrator
I've read a lot about this in the last year. Some hum reports are traceable to localized sources (turbines, pumping systems, etc.). Then there's The Hum, proper, which has been reported since the 1970s in Britain, and the States and elsewhere since about the early 1990s. As one researcher put it: if you find a source, it's not The Hum. Tinnitus is usually ruled out, except by some of the more dismissive Hum investigators, for two reasons. First, tinnitus-type sensations (usually high-pitched ringing, sometimes rumbles/flutters) don't generally correspond to the sounds described by Hum sufferers ('Hummers'). Some say it's like a steady, low tone; a lot of others compare it to trucks idling in the distance - i.e. low, roughly modulated. Second, an internal source wouldn't explain The Hum's geographic distribution (often in clusters, or straight lines - hence the suggestion that water or gas backbones might be culprits).

There's a lot of debate over whether it's an acoustic or electromagnetic phenomenon. It's most often perceived indoors, suggesting that vibratory energy is resonating strucutres of the right shape and size. But, it gets sticky. It starts to follow people wherever they go. So that raises more questions. Is it partly a matter of anomalous sensitivity to something that most people don't notice? And what roles do memory, anxiety and anticipation play? Some former Hummers have said they simply got tired of worrying about it and it subsided. The Hum rarerly shows up in acoustic measurements but most researchers consider that a failure of technology or methodology rather than eveidence of mass delusion.

But an acoustic explanation wouldn't explain its global spread. So that leads some researchers to argue that it's actually an electromagnetic effect. We're not supposed to be able to hear electromagnetic waves but the suggestion is that a small portion of the population percieves them in a sound like way. The electromagnetic argument tends to lay the blame on military-industrial megaprojects like HAARP and TACAMO because they're the only things that could blanket the earth in the sort of patterns associated with Hum distribution.

But, connect_icut, if you're both hearing (or half-hearing) it now, maybe keep an eye out for potential sources of LF vibration that could be finding a resonance in your place. Ventillation fans, etc. (e.g. elsewhere in an apartment building) can make a room do funny things. And from what I've read (and my own experience being peturbed by neighbour noise + watching local NIMBYs) the more you can ignore it, the less it will bother you. The worst thing is to be constantly scanning for it, imagining it when it's not there, etc.

nomos

Administrator
Also, Tea, I had a rumble too, recently. Very weird, for 24 hours at stretch at one point. It was like a twitching eyelid by deep in my ear, and powerful. Not like a little eardrum flutter. It was disconcerting and a little unbalancing. I went to the doctor about it but I'm still not sure if it was a spasm related to stress or fluid left over for a cold.

luka

ssoc_amazons1.jpg

connect_icut

Is that film for real? I can't find it on IMDB.

In any case, I'm still hearing the hum but I'm also becoming increasingly convinced it's an internal sound. Something to do with blocked ears and being able to hear my blood flow, like John Cage in the anechoic chamber. Maybe I should get my ears syringed.

Still, the illusion of it being OUT THERE is uncanny and I can see why it comes to obsess a certain type of person.