Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: capital by karl marx.

craner as a small c conservative will take the former position although it wont go much beyond cheering vimothy on from the sidelines.

^the interplay between you guys always cracks me the hell up.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    im not even sure we need a definition of capitalism
    yes. lest we find ourselves drearily arguing about mercantilism + dutch merchants in the 1600s + the tulip bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    or the psychological consequences of capitalism
    welcome to the exciting world of Situationism bro

well put it this way, we could spend 62 pages trying to establish a theoretical definition of capitlism we an all agree on, that might be fun, but assuming what we actually want to talk about is the world we live in, that theoretical definition would be valuable only so far as it corresponded with the world we live in. so why bother with that step at all?

its taken me a week to read 8 pages of capital. i dont see how im going to be able to finish it this year really.

^exactly. I'm just concerned with de facto what is. quibbles over definitions seem like an enormous waste of time (tho most marxists seem to love them). it's like arguing over what color to paint a house as it burns down around you.

anyway, on the topic of capitalism and the expolited proletariat, i have to go to work.

not intimidated by latin or pie charts tho. I saw plenty of both working in labs. creating meaningless graphs is practically a requirement.

I feel bad not having read it, but I just cannot be arsed.

The Commnist manifesto is rad tho.

That cartoony beginners guide to Marx is good too.

"I feel bad not having read it, but I just cannot be arsed."
    I'm surprised at that. Also feel slightly less guilty as it accurately sums up my position. Means I can't really contribute anything too meaningful to the debate but I'll be watching from the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    welcome to the exciting world of Situationism bro
    i'm rubbish with names of movements, but that's Society of the Spectacle etc, I see from a quick google.

pretty much true though as i understand it, given how loath people are to do even a small amount to protect even their own standard of living, while bullshit regularly rallies millions of people around it.

anyone got any good, reasonably simple reading material to recommend on the current Eurozone/Greek crisis, way in which states are forced to bail out other states lest interest rates on their own government bonds rise etc?
    Last edited by baboon2004; 29-02-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    so at the moment we are going to take various positions on the way we have organised society at present. some of us will say, i think its pretty good, look at the alternatives, others will say, nah i dont like it, lots of people suffer and we're all going to hell in a handbasket.
    i propose a starting point to any debate should be that the primary function of any civilised society should be that as few people are rendered destitute/ homeless/starving by it as possible.

Surely anything else is secondary?

for those who have not read it, yet feel its towering importance as more and more people increasingly realize its relevance, after hearing so much about the alleged "analytical tools for understanding the world today and the crisis it is in", such as myself, this famous professor/author guy gives these video and audio lectures on the book, and have been highly recommended to me:

http://www.davidharvey.org/

in addition to the series on the actual text there are lots of other goodies on the site. such as this fun little RSAnimation

or this heftier END OF CAPITALISM video
    Last edited by zhao; 29-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.

david harvey's book on post modernism is also very good and i expect a lot of people on here would be interested in it. it primarily outlines his theory of 'time/space compression' but his effortless switching between economic/political/philosophical/geographic/cultural analysis along the way is really quite breathtaking.