padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the unabomber was largely motivated by anti-civ views (primmie theorist high priest john zerzan visited him in prison a la sartre + the RAF)

padraig (u.s.)

there's also been a big "green scare" in the u.s. the last few years w/the fbi etc infiltrating the g.a. scene + sending a lot of people up for eco-sabotage things (some real, some entrapment). "radical environmentalists" are generally listed as the top domestic threat (well, after islamists, but I'm not sure if they're quite domestic) ahead of white supremacists + people who bomb abortion clinics + such.

padraig (u.s.)

in case anyone is tho, there is a novel - ishmael, by daniel quinn - that's basically a primitivist primer. also, one of ursula k. leguin's books - the dispossessed - is a sympathetic attempt to think out how an anarchist society, w/o any personal property, might work (tho she does include potential problems too).

luka

but just generally if you know about something dont be afraid of boring people.

padraig (u.s.)

you can't really talk about it on a forum beyond generalities due to the nature of the scene (i.e. justifiably paranoid). but here is an archive of do or die, the best radical ecodefense zine of all time imo (+ out of the uk actually) if you want a sense of it. the last issue was holy creed to me when I was 19.

Do or Die - Voices from the Ecological Resistance

jenks

thread death
About Gove?

I managed to get to the top of page 2 of the web version before a red mist descended.

Education policy is a complete mess at the moment, with schools and colleges unable to make meaningful plans beyond the next 12 months, funding's fcuked, Toby Young, Jobs getting cut, social mobility getting hit (again), schools having to make decisions to chase money, which the gvt can then use for political gain, private schools being bailed out by the state, Toby Young, consultations headed by lunatics, Toby Young.

LOL

thanks- only just got round to seeing this and have just stopped hyper-ventilating... a few select quotes:

For the first time since Chris Woodhead in the 1990s, we have a chief inspector who is putting the fear of God into the education establishment.

The government thinks that it is on target for more than 70 per cent of the country's 3,100 secondary schools to have academy status by 2015.

The trade unions, who hate Gove, are a different matter: "The real opposition to what we're doing lies there," he says.

And then the project will be complete - no unified voice to oppose continued meddling in education for political purposes. No local authority to make sure money is spent wisely by schools. A sector run by fear of the knock on the door as OfSTED comes in and trashes a school's reputation over night.

I am genuinely now going to do my marking
Mr Gove, speaking on ITV's Daybreak programme, said: "If you love your job then there is, I think, absolutely nothing to complain about in making sure you have more of a chance to do it well." but less money and more hours and...

Sorry Luka, back to Marx

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the unabomber was largely motivated by anti-civ views (primmie theorist high priest john zerzan visited him in prison a la sartre + the RAF)"
Yeah, was thinking of Zerzan and the Unabomber really - plus an anonymous book I picked up at Dan's the other day called Bolo Bolo or something.
But my point though, is that if hunter-gathering doesn't work to give people a far better life then these arguments are dead in the water - hence the arguments about the merits of hunter-gathering becoming political.

padraig (u.s.)

^1st, the current system ensures a miserable (at least socioeconomic) life for the majority of humans. it's inherently a pyramid with the materially good lives of the few subsidized by the severely ill-compensated labor of the many. e.g. it is impossible to raise the living standards of any significant number of people without its collapse, w/o even going into the near certainty that the earth's carrying capacity couldn't support 7 billion people living at a modern middle class level.

padraig (u.s.)

2nd, you're echoing a general assumption that the goal is to "give people better life" (whatever that means) which aside from being typically nebulous is, again, impossible on any real scale. the argument isn't that h+g gives a higher living standard (there is "original affluence" but it's debated among anthropologists), it's about sustainability + skepticism that progress will offer a way out from under. which isn't, NB, an argument for an equally impossible widespread return to h+g. some people do pursue that lifestyle to varying degrees in their own lives but that's on a personal/subcultural level. that entire scene is largely withdrawn from mainstream society anyway.

look, from your posts over the years i'm pretty sure you're a liberal. you talk reform. I'm telling you there's no such thing, not in any meaningful sense. we're not talking about the same thing. we don't even see the same planet. which is fine. no shots, that's just the reality.

padraig (u.s.)

+ as far as zerzan, not all or even most people w/primitivist views agree with or even like him, just like not all catholics agree w/the pope. feelings on kaczynski were mixed. even people who agree w/his views (the way he was portrayed in the media as just a crazy guy was bullshit, if unsurprising) generally don't w/his tactics. there's generally a very sharp line drawn between attacks on property + attacks on people, similar to sympathizers of radical leftists in the 60s + 70s. but whatever on that.

padraig (u.s.)

also luka whenever you read this I'm most of the way through chapter 2 + I have some early observations if you or anyone wants to talk about them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"2nd, you're echoing a general assumption that the goal is to "give people better life" (whatever that means) which aside from being typically nebulous is, again, impossible on any real scale. the argument isn't that h+g gives a higher living standard (there is "original affluence" but it's debated among anthropologists), it's about sustainability + skepticism that progress will offer a way out from under. which isn't, NB, an argument for an equally impossible widespread return to h+g. some people do pursue that lifestyle to varying degrees in their own lives but that's on a personal/subcultural level. that entire scene is largely withdrawn from mainstream society anyway.
look, from your posts over the years i'm pretty sure you're a liberal. you talk reform. I'm telling you there's no such thing, not in any meaningful sense. we're not talking about the same thing. we don't even see the same planet. which is fine. no shots, that's just the reality."
Not sure what you're saying here to be honest. I wasn't talking about my views at all so not sure how this relates.
But I certainly see no reform as possible. I think the world is fucked - like I said in the environment thread - I'm just glad that I was one of the lucky ones born in a relatively prosperous country at a time that I believe is slightly easier to live in than those prior to it and much easier than those to follow. What we do now is mainly move deckchairs around on the Titanic to make the best of what remains - maybe that is liberalism.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not sure what you're saying here to be honest. I wasn't talking about my views at all so not sure how this relates.
But I certainly see no reform as possible. I think the world is fucked - like I said in the environment thread - I'm just glad that I was one of the lucky ones born in a relatively prosperous country at a time that I believe is slightly easier to live in than those prior to it and much easier than those to follow. What we do now is mainly move deckchairs around on the Titanic to make the best of what remains - maybe that is liberalism.

amen to that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
^1st, the current system ensures a miserable (at least socioeconomic) life for the majority of humans. it's inherently a pyramid with the materially good lives of the few subsidized by the severely ill-compensated labor of the many. e.g. it is impossible to raise the living standards of any significant number of people without its collapse, w/o even going into the near certainty that the earth's carrying capacity couldn't support 7 billion people living at a modern middle class level.

and when a life free of poverty for all is not a priority in even any well-off Western country. there isn't the will. but why do people value their own comforts, way beyond what they need to be happy, over such goals? seems to me a deep-rooted psychological issue more than anything else, swapping wealth/ material comfort for sorting out the fears/insecurities/neuroses/pathologies that make one less than content. People spend so little time thinking about what would actually make them happy (or rather, what parts of their life are making them unhappy, more to the point).