asexuality/celibacy

firefinga

Of course this still applies, when you look at how much people of both sexes spend on clothes, gym membership, hair and skincare regimes, tooth-related products and the rest. And that's before we even start talking about cosmetic surgery. (OK, so some spray-tanned tart with fake knockers probably isn't your or my idea of hot, but nonetheless, people who spend at least some money on their appearance tend to look more attractive than people who pay no regard to it at all.)

Never underestimate the fact the beauty industry is huge, and always on the outlook of opportunities for expansion.

Benny B

Never underestimate the fact the beauty industry is huge, and always on the outlook of opportunities for expansion.

Very true.

Timely bump for me this, I've never noticed this thread before. I've literally just finished reading 'Beauty and Misogyny' where Sheila Jeffreys makes a very convincing argument that western beauty practices meet the criteria for being harmful cultural practices. whether you think thats going too far or not, it really demonstrated well what a gruesome, fucked up industry it is.