Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highest technology

Default Highest technology

This is as clever as it sounds - camera sees around corners thanks to femtosecond laser bursts http://bit.ly/GDA0Dr

That is so clever and such a thorough application of light theory I'm surprised it's not classified.
    The inverse of this would make invisibility cloaking much more effective.

Anyway, I reckon that is the very highest technology available today. Maybe it's a watered-down version of the detectors in the LHC, I don't know. If this isn't, what is the highest technology anyone is coming up with at the moment?

That's pretty fucking amazing.

Most of the really high-precision detectors in the LHC experiments are used for tracking charged particles, so I'm not sure it's directly connected to this kind of technology - but at the end of the day it's all CCD (charge-couple devices) that form the basis of digital cameras from space telescopes to the one in your phone. And, on a fundamental level, particle physics instrumentation.

Nice find!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

bloody hell! Tea - get writing yo! Spook Country as a jump off ;-)

It's kind of a boring/cliche subject but sometimes I wonder what stuff is going to be like when I'm like 50 (22 now). I really don't want to think about it though, grim shit, can't see the world or our relationship with technology and nature being any more healthy than it is now.

up on sum urban tech-wear tip, acronym be on dis

what 6 replies and no yo-mama jokes? dissensus, and tea in particular, gettin soft IMO

Planetary Resources

Asteroid mining? Cool.

The future will be hard to resist: http://www.paulgraham.com/addiction.html

Everything will taste great, look amazing and ruin your life.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post

As someone who's hopelessly Internet-addicted and unable to shake off the last vestiges of smoking, that made an interesting read. I like the idea, the process, he's hit on there.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post

Meh, people have been prophesying Doomsday one way or another since the year dot and it hasn't happened yet. And he's wrong about cigarettes: the tobacco in modern fags contains far less nicotine than the wild tobacco Native Americans smoked in their peace pipes. Street heroin is usually weaker that raw opium because of all the shit it's cut with. Distilled spirits have been around for hundreds of years but people still drink beer and wine. Computer games have been getting more sophisticated every year since they were invented but people still play chess and poker and football and tennis and cricket and so on and so on and so on.

TBH he sounds like an old fart who can't understand these young 'uns with their iFace PlayPod thingumies...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Read kind of toungue in cheek to me...:/

Quote Originally Posted by grizzleb View Post
    Read kind of toungue in cheek to me...:/
    You reckon? It sounded fairly earnest to me but then I'm sometimes not the best person at picking on written irony.

certainly related to both thread and above article:

Is Facebook Making Us Lonely

If there is a trend of people becoming more lonelier then I believe Facebook surely plays an interesting part in this but isn't the cause something way bigger than Facebook: individualism? Anyway, nice and interesting read. Surely recognize some of the things they mention.