zhao

there are no accidents
So glad I have the common sense to ignore this. Y'all dumb!

not necessarily dumb... maybe more along the lines of aging nerd-boys who fall for nostalgic noirish Alterna-Babes such as Lana,, not despite but precisely because of her fabricated inauthenticity, so that their in fact quite naive infatuation can hide behind some kind of anti-rockist irony, and seem more sophisticated because you know, it's hauntological lol. the kind of electronica nerd-boys who in the 90s used to be into that down syndrome looking actress whatshername... Christina Ricci.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh and i should probably be counted as one of the above.

not that i'm so into this girl or was ever into Ricci

e/y

not necessarily dumb... maybe more along the lines of aging nerd-boys who fall for nostalgic noirish Alterna-Babes such as Lana,, not despite but precisely because of her fabricated inauthenticity, so that their in fact quite naive infatuation can hide behind some kind of anti-rockist irony, and seem more sophisticated because you know, it's hauntological lol.

as far as I'm concerned, she makes good (pop) music. same as Gaga, Beyonce, Robyn, etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There may be something in what Zhao says... I'm definitely into music that I would consider to be "just good pop music" but I like that Born To Die song in a different way. Kept playing it over and over again and then playing all the stuff it reminded me of - the fabricated inauthenticity is part of the appeal although I can't say why that should appeal to me. Guess I am aging though unfortunately....

zhao

there are no accidents
the fabricated inauthenticity is part of the appeal although I can't say why that should appeal to me.

because it mirrors and validates our own ceaseless underlying sense of inauthenticity, as sustained by anti-essentialist consumerist self reinvention.

oh no think i've heard too many zizek podcasts :/

Leo

...the fabricated inauthenticity is part of the appeal...

wow...i never put it into words before, this is exactly why i've always liked lenny kravitz (or at least about a half-dozen of his songs).

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Some kind of 'Grey Album' idea

ugh, no. please, indie pop darlings, leave great old rap alone. stop ironically covering NWA + making terrible mashup albums. isn't it enough that you stole cee-lo + turned him into a seven-up hawking smurf/vampire queen super bowl sidekick?

(also didn't this girl talk mashup nonsense expire - thankfully - like 5 years ago?)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also @Leo - i'm sorry but lenny kravitz is irredeemably terrible, 5th-rate jimi hendrix rubbish, inauthentic or otherwise.

tho otoh, lisa bonet, nuff respect

Leo

also @leo - i'm sorry but lenny kravitz is irredeemably terrible, 5th-rate jimi hendrix rubbish, inauthentic or otherwise.

tho otoh, lisa bonet, nuff respect

LOL. honestly, i can't even defend it. some things just are.

and yeah, "angel heart"...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"wow...i never put it into words before, this is exactly why i've always liked lenny kravitz (or at least about a half-dozen of his songs)."
Well, I can't take any credit for it cos I was just quoting Zhao.
I'd like to understand why I like the fakeness here though - I mean, I guess that I often like or don't like something and then make up a plausible reason for that (dis)like but I genuinely do like the contrived nature of this particular tune. The lips just add to that I think.
I don't think I've ever met anyone who likes Lenny Kravitz. Someone must be buying his records though I guess.

Leo

ok, granted i only like a handful of lenny's heavier rock songs. but when talking about fabricated inauthenticity, i think there's something to be said for the combination of ham-fisted riffs, flying V, platform shoes, bellbottoms, skinny afro-haired lead guitarist with low-slung sunburst les paul, smoke machines, light show...and john-paul jones! it's every trite rock cliche rolled into one!

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was prepared to dislike this because the whole idea of her sounds fairly unlikeable from what I've read...but I have to say, this is actually a pretty bad-ass song. Highly affected and mannered, as every keeps saying, but actually no worse for that. And the video has that glossy perfume-ad glamour to it that I kind of like despite myself (I mean, it's not actually Baz Luhrmann, but it's getting there). Beats earnest wholemeal indie-boys striving to be as 'real' and 'home-made' as possible, any day.

But sorry Leo, I think you're on your own about LK! And as a confirmed Zep-head, this:

...and john-paul jones!

makes me a little bit sad. Ah well.

Leo

ok ok, no more mentions of _enny _ravitz, i promise! like i said, i can't really justify or even explain it, some things just are.

and just DLed the lana album, look forward to force feeding myself continual listens until the epiphany arrives. :p

IdleRich

IdleRich
Think I may have listened to Born to Die a few too many times now to be honest... now going for stuff that has a similarly baroque feel. Such as this.

Leo

i've given the album about 10 or so listens in the past week. it's not horrible but certainly too long, too much filler, would have been a much better 35-40-minute album (instead of its current 60 minutes). aside from a couple of tracks and the backstory, it doesn't strike me as really all that much different/better than a hundred other female pop singer LPs.

zhao

there are no accidents
fucking who gives a shit honestly.

ANY mississippi folk blues guitar player
ANY chicago gospel singer from the 30s to 60s,
ANY georgia down home cookin from the past century is likely at least 10X better than this stupid fake lipped bitch, who might or might not have a few moments here or there.

you want noir?
you want wispy teary smiles?
you want dispassionate heavy-hearted voices weaving melodies about love and loss?
stop wasting your life and fucking listen to REAL American Music.

oc5800534.jpg

Last edited: