slowtrain

yeah, ldr is shit and that music is awesome zhao, but that is some dodgy reasoning you have going on

zhao

there are no accidents
old music is not a subsititute for new music.

no one beyond the age of 16 should give a shit WHEN a song was made, but only its QUALITY.

and there is exactly nothing "new" about LDR.
it is regurgitation with artificial coloring in a shiny box - the box is the only thing which is "new".

yeah, ldr is shit and that music is awesome zhao, but that is some dodgy reasoning you have going on

it wasn't reason but rather an intuitive emotional outburst yesterday as i was deeply feeling some REAL American Music.

it's like amazing steak houses, where master chefs use the best cuts grilled to perfection with wooden charcoals and a variety of unique spices and sauces, going out of business -- because people are lined up at the McDonalds for shitty flabby little stupid "burgers" made with cardboard and chicken feed.

McDonalds got the multi million dollar ad campaign. But what actually goes in yo mouth?? the food or the image???

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
You're criticising people for listening to George Michael when they should be listening to Sam Cookr, it's dysthymic cultural conjecture. I can listen to her and Ma Rainey, but I dont think either fulfil the same purpose as each other.

I hate the sexist vitriol thats been laden on on ole Del Rey. Especially by people who should know better. The songs are really well written, ones I've heard anyway. I dont care enough to explore further.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
You're criticising people for listening to George Michael when they should be listening to Sam Cookr, it's dysthymic cultural conjecture. I can listen to her and Ma Rainey, but I dont think either fulfil the same purpose as each other.

hey guess what? mood disorders make amazing music. not big label think tanks.

what are the "different purposes" fulfilled by Ma Rainey and Wanna Sell Fake?
please list them, because i see no different purposes - only exactly the same purposes.

I hate the sexist vitriol thats been laden on on ole Del Rey. Especially by people who should know better.

sexist? lol for real? is it sexist if i call Vin Diesel a Stupid Dickhead?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
+ this lana thing's mostly passed me by but: I'm sure there's sexism lurking in some criticism, cos there always is, but sometimes things just suck. it's one thing to make the same tired point about a female pop star not writing her own music, but I reckon a lot of people don't like having synergistic focus committee shit shoved down their throats (see also: romney, mitt). which is a ship that sailed long, long ago, but it's the blatancy of it. especially when the target audience is so media savvy.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
hey guess what? mood disorders make amazing music. not big label think tanks.

what are the "different purposes" fulfilled by Ma Rainey and Wanna Sell Fake?
please list them, because i see no different purposes - only exactly the same purposes.

sexist? lol for real? is it sexist if i call Vin Diesel a Stupid Dickhead?

Now you're just being silly.

zhao

there are no accidents
you cant possibly be serious.

this is somewhat tangential but we live in an entire culture under the delusion that the newest and latest is the best, most accurate, etc.
this is true of not only pop music but other spheres as well.

and i like how you conveniently side step my point that there is nothing "new" about LDR.

like how you have always conveniently side stepped and refused to acknowledge points which demonstrate the falsehood within your absurd reasoning.
(the most recent example to mind was telling me that i can't know more about African music than someone who comes from Africa :rolleyes:)

e/y

because, as I see it, Vin Diesel - a man, is part of group which enjoys a certain privilege or dominance, and a set of experiences, which women do not. so, if you call him a dickhead or what have you, the connotations are not the same as calling a woman a "fake lipped bitch" - putting her down in a number of ways, including her appearance. similarly, Madonna gets criticised for her looks / clothes, but men of a similar and even higher age do not.

it's like when a few times, some old white men (you know, "good ol' boys") in the US talked down to me (another caucasian, if 'foreign', person) and called me "boy" - yeah it was somewhat unpleasant / condescending, but not even remotely comparable to an instance if such a remark was directed at an African American person.

but I'm sure that you know that b/c you're an intelligent person and I think you are above this reddit-esque reaction (where posters scream "but look at all the misandry WE experience!" whenever they are pulled up for making sexist remarks).

--

a separate issue is people disliking LDR's music - a sentiment I understand, but do not share. dunno, I have a pretty narrow / shallow knowledge of music and I'm sure there's music that is much better out there, but I really, really like the album.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
of course i understand and know these dynamics well. alright my bad for unnecessarily using language which may be construed as sexism in my critique.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
this is somewhat tangential but we live in an entire culture under the delusion that the newest and latest is the best, most accurate, etc.
Bullshit. Everyone and their dog is obsessed with retro this and retro that, nightclubs all over the place are putting on back-to-95 nostalgia-fests or nu-rave nonsense or '60s garage band revival things or neo-krautrock or neo-post-punk or steampunk jazz or "I Heart The '90s" or whatever. The bread-and-butter of rock music is a formula that's hardly changed in over half a century and operas and classical concerts still pull punters in all over the world.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?11806-Retromania

Last edited: