IdleRich

IdleRich
Don't think that there is a thread on this yet. I was agnostic about the first track I heard from her but this one is amazing. The video, where stoned yet perfect automatons re-enact Wild at Heart, complements the Chris Isaak meets Portishead music perfectly. I can't remember the last time that someone captured the Bonnie-and-Clyde-doomed-lovers-against-the-world so well. It's so contrived that it might as well be an open letter asking to be in Lynch's next film and somehow it's all the better for that. Her weird plastic face and the emotionless emotion of the song make the line "Choose your last words" really haunting, to me at least, or maybe I'm just in a funny mood.

• Love
Reactions: sus

e/y

think there was some discussion in the Pop 2012 thread.

I absolutely love it.

tom lea

brilliant, brilliant album

i reviewed it for fact, never seen more bile in the comments section of a piece i'd wrote before: weird internet sociopaths telling me i should die and stuff. obviously none of them have heard the album, it's breathtaking.

Last edited:
Er yeah, surprised me but I really quite like it.

I was a bit averse to it at first, but my girlfriend really likes it and kept playing it in the car and it's just kind of wormed it's way in. When it's bad (there are a couple of things on it that are just appalling to me), it's really bad, but there's some genuinely good pop moments on it.

I know it's just a modern update of the Lee Hazlewood/Nancy Sinatra stuff but that's not a bad thing at all.

My only massive complaint is that the drums sound really cheap on a couple of them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just checked out the Blue Jean track as mentioned a lot in the other thread and it didn't strike me in the same way at all on first listen. I can be quite fickle like that to be honest, often only like one song by an artist. That's my problem I guess though, not a problem with her. I want to listen to the whole album but I'll be disappointed if there aren't any that grab me in some way close to the way that Born to Die does.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
there's a lot of Hope Sandoval in her voice too. this can never be a bad thing imo.

re the plastic face, she used to be very pretty, it's a strange choice.

and talking of lee hazlewood, jesus this is great -

Last edited:

hopper

her performance on snl was hilariously bad, she comes across as intensely pretentious and dislikable in all interviews as well. sounds pretty good on record though in general

tom lea

Er yeah, surprised me but I really quite like it.

I was a bit averse to it at first, but my girlfriend really likes it and kept playing it in the car and it's just kind of wormed it's way in. When it's bad (there are a couple of things on it that are just appalling to me), it's really bad, but there's some genuinely good pop moments on it.

i hated National Anthem at first but quite like it now - probably just cos i've played it a lot. it's definitely a record that gets better the more you hear it tho, overall

rubberdingyrapids

My only massive complaint is that the drums sound really cheap on a couple of them.

thats my problem with a lot of it too, and its pretty unnecessarily overproduced. but under all that, ive grown to like it a lot.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"sounds like a bond theme from 98 or some shit
drums are so secondary school"
Is that the Hazlewood or the Del Rey thing? Hardly surprising if the former cos he wrote a few of the early ones didn't he? But also true of the Del Rey I guess - and although I really like the early Bond theme tunes I'm pretty sure they had started eating themselves before 98.
As for the drums, I don't think that's what people are listening to the songs for - not to say it's not a worthwhile criticism but the song at the start of the thread is definitely more than the sum of its parts, it's almost more an aesthetic than it is music. Question is whether or not you choose to go along with that aesthetic I think.
And with the Hazlewood comparisons, although the sound is similar I think that Chris Isaak is closer because he and Lana Del Rey are similarly fake (for want of a better word but not intended as an insult here - you just couldn't be what Chris Isaak wanted to be be "for real" in the nineties) whereas I don't think you can quite say that about Lee Hazlewood even if there is a knowingness there too.
The other day I found a mash-up that someone had done of Wicked Game and Video Games so I'm possibly not the only person thinking that. Though maybe it helps that both songs have "game" in their title.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"ther performance on snl was hilariously bad, she comes across as intensely pretentious and dislikable in all interviews as well. sounds pretty good on record though in general"
Interested in her interviews. I want her to be a bit weird and disconnected - would be rubbish if it was the usual "thanks to all my fans, peace and love everybody" shit. I think I'd rather my artists are interesting than nice - or I would today anyway.

hopper

Interested in her interviews. I want her to be a bit weird and disconnected - would be rubbish if it was the usual "thanks to all my fans, peace and love everybody" shit. I think I'd rather my artists are interesting than nice - or I would today anyway.

she is weird and disconnected in the least intriguing and amicable way... every utterance and gesture is just unbelievably fake, she seems so desperate to have this classic, elegant personality - but its paper thin. just take a look, you want to smack her in the same way you do la roux. deluded, self important, faux-artiste chanteuse wank

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
tumblr_m17k9oo5w61qzi40d_1332288349_cover.jpg

Not listened to this but I thought it might be of interest, download available. Some kind of 'Grey Album' idea.