Anti-Semitism in France

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
18% for Le Pen is shocking, especially given that apathy isn't an explanation (80 per cent turnout). Melenchon only taking 11 per cent is depressing too. Watch Sarkozy court the far right vote in round 2.

grizzleb

Did anyone see the Newsnight segment about the French elections last night? They were painting Hollande like some kind of Stalinist, and his anti-austerity policies as basically criminally insane and dangerous. It's just as well I don't pay a license fee...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hasn't Le Pen Jr kinda softened her stance a bit to move the party somewhat to the left (much to the disgust of her father)?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
@ STN and Tea Never knew that, but it sounds nuts. Anti-Zionism by all means, but preferably for saner reasons.

One of the Hasidic Jewish neighbours asked my girlfriend if he could tap into her internet account because he had to download some (unspecified) videos for the 'retard' he had coming to stay. He's a circumcision doctor too. Charming man. Her upstairs neighbour is very much nicer though.

Turns out my g/f's (now former) upstairs neighbour may well be a member of Neturei Karta! Slightly nuts.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I read something on the rise of Golden Dawn in Greece recently and there was a statistic in there saying that around 70% of the Greek population is anti-Semitic. Dunno if I believe it, seems a ludicrously high percentage.

Perhaps it's not as unbelievable as all that. Severe economic crises tend to push people towards both extremes of the political spectrum, neither of which is particularly Jew-friendly to put it mildly. I don't know how big Greece's Muslim population is but it must be sizeable, given the country's location within Europe, and I think a lot of people - older people, at least - still practice (a fairly conservative form of?) Christianity in a big way.

Last edited: