Vocal Science

Bellwoods

Lately I've been listening to a lot of chopped-up vocal tunes. Seems like Kahn really knows what he's doing in that way:

Royal-T as well:

So I'd like to hear some of your favorite vocal science tunes, old or new.

luka

you can end the thread now. this is deliciously euphoric and sad at the same time.

I could easily post 50-100 Todd Edwards tunes from an entire decade, but this one by M-Flow comes to mind.

Allegedly it cuts up Japanese samples and constructs it into English so Todd can peddle his god bothering messages. Now to be fair I can't make out the words myself (and the Japanese like to dabble in a linguo that they don't understand anyway) but it's a 1990's Todd tune for fuck's sake, what's not to like.

luka

theres only one todd edwards tune i like although i like it a lot. i think he is essentially boring.

theres only one todd edwards tune i like although i like it a lot. i think he is essentially boring.

If I remember rightly you're the man who foolishly rates Dem 2's Slave to the Vibe remix over better fare like Da Grunge Mix or Lonely People. Go on then, what's you're favourite Todd track.

Bellwoods

Pretty much every footwork track has cut-up vocals
I've heard a lot of grumbling about footwork's apparent lack of "vocal science grace", whatever that means. I think there are actually some really great bits of vocal chopping here and there, but a lot of it is just relentless looping.

Trillhouse

I was thinking about this over the weekend.. is there an origin for this kind of truncated vocal sampling? has there been tunes in the various genres that it's kinda taken hold that set the tone where others followed, or is a continuum of sorts..?

luka

I was thinking about this over the weekend.. is there an origin for this kind of truncated vocal sampling? has there been tunes in the various genres that it's kinda taken hold that set the tone where others followed, or is a continuum of sorts..?

You got it in Lisa Lisa and cult jam and in nu shooz and and in whistles only bugging.

blissblogger

i think this is the one of the very first examples of the stuttery vocal sample riff - starting from about 2.40 in and going really crazy, almost baroque jitters and squeaks

and i suspect it's John Robie that's doing it

blissblogger

but with vocal science, how far do you wanna go back?

this is 1968, pre-digital, all done with tape and a razor blade

but it's not even that early, it's just particularly demented