crackerjack

I actually don't care at this point. Normally I'm as In-ger-land as they come, but after South Africa, taking Terry/leaving out Rio and all the rest I honestly think I'll be happy to sit through this as a neutral.(Plus the thought of Cameron affecting support for an England win would be way to much to bear.)

One unhappy consequence of Chelsea's Euro run is that we're almost certain to see Chapter 896 of the Why Can't Lamps and Stevie Play Together? saga. At least this small-minded conservative team have got the manager they deserve, if not the one they crave.

Big bets on Spain have kept me entertained through the last 2 big tournaments, but I won't be doing that this time. Genuinely haven't got a clue who'll win – perhaps it'll be the best man, as in '08/'10. England will go out in the group stage (in fact, anyone know the odds? That might be worth a bet.)

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that Germany have got to be a good bet. Despite my better judgment and the inevitable disappointment I will support England but I wish that almost everything about them was different.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I have the feeling a dark horse will win again, just like Greece did in 2004. I'm not at all certain about the Dutch squad. Van Marwijk better put Huntelaar AND van Persie in cos leaving one of them out would make him even more of a pussy coach. Defence looks incredibly poor as well :(

crackerjack

I have the feeling a dark horse will win again, just like Greece did in 2004. I'm not at all certain about the Dutch squad. Van Marwijk better put Huntelaar AND van Persie in cos leaving one of them out would make him even more of a pussy coach. Defence looks incredibly poor as well :(

I know nada about the state of Dutch football, but is it even conceivable that he could leave out RvP? He's fucking genius.

edit: Though I guess if you're playing Robben too, he might fight shy of two strikers...

don_quixote

Trent End
so depressed to see gerrard made captain since they have to play him.

a carrick/parker/milner central midfield 3 would be a gazillion times better than trying to shoehorn gerrard with anyone. he's a luxury player who is past his best.

crackerjack

so depressed to see gerrard made captain since they have to play him.

a carrick/parker/milner central midfield 3 would be a gazillion times better than trying to shoehorn gerrard with anyone. he's a luxury player who is past his best.

Regardless of what we think about SG – and clearly he's had a poor season – that would be a terrible midfield. Two workhorses & one who looks good enough until he's up against someone decent, when his limitations are always exposed.

hucks

Your Message Here
Regardless of what we think about SG – and clearly he's had a poor season – that would be a terrible midfield. Two workhorses & one who looks good enough until he's up against someone decent, when his limitations are always exposed.

I really like Carrick and think he should definitely be in the squad and probably the team but that is correct. Don't get why people are so fond of Parker at all.

For what it's worth, I think Frank & Steve will play together and probably be OK. If Lampard plays his Chelsea Champions League position at the base of midfield, then Gerrard can play further forward. It should work. Though given the deterioration of both players, it'll still be no better than the 04-08 Golden Period.

I still can't believe Grant Holt's not in the squad...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think WC 2010 killed all my enthusiasm for international football. Mostly terrible, terrible football, Germany and (briefly) Argentina aside. Oh, and Chile.

I would halfheartedly support England, but john terry's presence makes it impossible.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict England to do surprisingly well - win their group, beat the second place team from Group C in the quarters and then lose in the semis. This may well be my post-CL high talking here (in that game Lampard, Cahill and Cole looked as good as any of the Bayern players)

crackerjack

I really like Carrick and think he should definitely be in the squad and probably the team

Carrick's had a good second half to the season (perhaps no coincidence that this came after Utd were knocked out of Europe) and is worth his place in the squad, but I'd play Barry or Parker ahead of him. Trouble with Carrick is he's deep lying, but not a good tackler, something England will need given how often they give the ball away.

And he flatters to deceive - can't recall him having many good games against really good sides.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
(in that game Lampard, Cahill and Cole looked as good as any of the Bayern players)

But Chelsea got massacred for most of that game. On most nights, Bayern would've won 3-0, just their finishing was abject. Chelsea did brilliantly to hang in there, but to say they were Bayern's equals for 120 minutes is just not true. 35 shots to 9, 20 corners to 1.

Last edited:

e/y

I look forward to watching some football without shitting myself every few seconds (as is the case with Arsenal).

For what it's worth, I think Frank & Steve will play together and probably be OK. If Lampard plays his Chelsea Champions League position at the base of midfield, then Gerrard can play further forward. It should work. Though given the deterioration of both players, it'll still be no better than the 04-08 Golden Period. .

I'd be very surprised if this is how Hodgson would play. Gerrard's positional sense and decision making is quite poor, and he's more effective playing further forward, either wide or behind a striker. Lampard, actually, has improved considerably in that sense. He's better positionally (and in other ways, too), but still, to have him as the deepest / holding midfield player would be suicidal. I think it will be Parker (who is ok) and Lampard in the middle.

Carrick with Parker (sort of like a budget Pirlo / Gattuso from a few years back) and Lampard ahead of them would have been better.

hucks

Your Message Here
I look forward to watching some football without shitting myself every few seconds (as is the case with Arsenal).

I'd be very surprised if this is how Hodgson would play. Gerrard's positional sense and decision making is quite poor, and he's more effective playing further forward, either wide or behind a striker. Lampard, actually, has improved considerably in that sense. He's better positionally (and in other ways, too), but still, to have him as the deepest / holding midfield player would be suicidal. I think it will be Parker (who is ok) and Lampard in the middle.

Carrick with Parker (sort of like a budget Pirlo / Gattuso from a few years back) and Lampard ahead of them would have been better.

Sorry, I meant Lampard alongside Parker with Gerrard ahead of them and behind the striker. Lampard's been alongside Mikel with Mata behind Drogba for Chelsea.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
But Chelsea got massacred for most of that game. On most nights, Bayern would've won 3-0, just their finishing was abject. Chelsea did brilliantly to hang in there, but to say they were Bayern's equals for 120 minutes is just not true. 35 shots to 9, 20 corners to 1.

No one would deny that Chelsea were on the back foot for almost all of the game, but goals scored is the only statistic that matters at the end. Since Bayern couldn't score more than Chelsea they didn't deserve to win

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
No one would deny that Chelsea were on the back foot for almost all of the game, but goals scored is the only statistic that matters at the end. Since Bayern couldn't score more than Chelsea they didn't deserve to win

Sure, I agree, just as Chelsea (despite being overall the better side, hitting the woodwork etc) didn't deserve to win in Moscow. Bayern were the better side but they didn't 'deserve' to win in any meaningful sense. But to say Chelsea's players looked as good as Bayern's during that game is manifestly not true.

If Drogba hadn't had one brilliant header in the 88th minute, everyone would've been talking about Chelsea's abject capitulation. That he scored totally against the run of play, doesn't change how rubbish/outclassed Chelsea looked for 88 minutes.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"But Chelsea got massacred for most of that game. On most nights, Bayern would've won 3-0, just their finishing was abject. Chelsea did brilliantly to hang in there, but to say they were Bayern's equals for 120 minutes is just not true. 35 shots to 9, 20 corners to 1."
Bayern were better than Chelsea but none of their players are as good as Ashley Cole. He may be a horrible little shit but he's virtually the only world class player that England have. Best player in the world in that position and has been for a long time.
Also, although Bayern dominated possession and territory, they didn't have that many good chances. Admittedly they did have a few but most of them were half-chances at best.

don_quixote

Trent End
cannot agree more about ashley cole. he is pure class. the best left back england have ever had (coming from a forest fan, that is BIG)

was 04-08 a golden period? i swear that golden generation crap was a media myth. gerrard, lampard, owen, beckham, ferdinand and terry were just as average as what went before them.