Humblebrag

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"Told the cpl renting my house in the Midwest, who both lost their jobs last month, not to worry about Nov/Dec rent. They have a little boy."

Shameless.

There was a recent article about people attending some extraordinarily rubbish Bill Clinton bash in London that made me suspect that event was the humblebrag motherload.

zhao

there are no accidents
fuck this fake coy shit.
if you proud of something let everyone know.
nuttin wrong with that.

Leo

from the comments, i've seen this annoying one on facebook more than once:

"Some people are such a***holes" Facebook status, followed by other sappy fools writing, "aah, what's wrong hun". "Oh nothing, just don't understand some people."

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that kind of thing's everywhere on facebook for sure. if everyone refused to engage with it, it would stop swiftly.

I'm all for mysteries, but usually the twist is really shit in these cases.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I consider this an art form, and pursue its mastery on a daily basis.

That said, I have no friends.

muser

when poeple do this in real life I like to try and break through those humble-walls by completely ignoring whatever they are boasting about and highlight the humbling points they are making, to the extreme untill they just end up trying to boast because it isnt working. the cunts

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
You hear this all the time, a friend of mine said yesterday "Oh I'm so glad I can finally sleep in my own bed tonight" though what he was really communicating was "Please ask me about my holiday so I can tell how fantastic it was". This humblebrag thing really makes me aggressive and I don't want to be tempted to ask someone a question he wants to answer, just tell it straight away. Say wow I had such a good holiday, I had sunshine and ate ice-creams. I bet there wouldn't be a word about the beds in it then.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
It's just too obvious, it feels as if you're playing a role, saying things from a script.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"SO looking forward to beans on toast tonight - just not sure I can stomach any more Michelin-starred restaurant grub"

"A dozen bottles of Chateau Rothschild when all I want is a can of Coke - sigh :("

"Got some much-needed sleep last night - nice not to be pestered by Angelina Jolie for hours of wild sex for once"

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Or maybe it's just that you lot are all bitter losers who are looking for some made up rule of ettiquette that you can claim these people are transgressing in order to cover up the fact that you're basically just too mean spirited to simply share in other peoples' happiness?

Just sayin.

Leo

Or maybe it's just that you lot are all bitter losers who are looking for some made up rule of ettiquette that you can claim these people are transgressing in order to cover up the fact that you're basically just too mean spirited to simply share in other peoples' happiness?

Just sayin.

so sorry i'm not able to respond properly to your point right now, hate busy days like this, haven't been able to get anything done today between my stint carrying the Olympic torch and having tea with the Queen.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
xpost - That is a possibility, but not the correct one in this case. All fine for sharing in someone's happiness when it's something worth celebrating, it's the crying out for attention over every little thing that is wearing, the need to communicate every last thing to a huge number of people. I've blocked status updates from everyone who does this on Facebook, and as a result I enjoy Facebook much more.

i'm not sure the birthday one is so bad for these reasons - it's worth celebrating, so fair enough.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
when poeple do this in real life I like to try and break through those humble-walls by completely ignoring whatever they are boasting about and highlight the humbling points they are making, to the extreme untill they just end up trying to boast because it isnt working. the cunts

+1