Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stratford - What's good?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I don't know of anywhere in London remotely like it.
    You mean specifically the homelessness or something else? Maybe the old shopping centre provides a good doss down space, IDK. Been going there since the 80s so very weird to see how much it's changed.

It's a weird place to be sure. I like it for cycling - it's nice to go around the stadium, and cut into the park by the canal but this is mostly 'cos it's safe because the predicted traffic has not materialised. It's very empty. What I imagine Dubai to be like, with all the weird massive architecture. Am fond of the new pool I have to say. I think it looks amazing but yeah, visions of a technocratic elite, just a bit. The shopping centre is a fundamentally hollow experience, like a sheet of glass.

Never been there yet on match day. Maybe that brings it to life. I'm not a football fan but I wonder how the WHU massive feel about their collective decanting.

Its already alive Danny. Liveness is not the issue. If anything its too alive! Its writhing fervid insanity. I've been to matches obviously and it's a seperate thing. The fans exist in an isolated airstream.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's very very strange. I think it has the most aggressively ugly new architecture of anywhere in the world. You have African preachers yelling at empty air, Muslims handing out free Korans, tent cities, stabbing gangs, acid attacks... it's fucking fucked plus half of Essex in Westfields
    Just read this. I think we crossposted earlier. I think your describing the immigrant experience of Newham, the poverty of Tower Hamlets colliding with this shit ugly neoliberal facade. In other places in London that have horrible weird new architecture every cunt has a suit and a desk where they can eat their Pret A Manger so it doesn't seem as weird. Then you have the Olympic facade overlaid over the top, regardless of the economics of people's lives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

I once say some charity muggers in operation down Bethnal Green Road. They asked some little bloke in a baseball cap who was with a mate, they looked like they were on their way to score. He snapped back in full on hideous druggy cockney "You taking the fakking piss, I've got enough problems of my own!!!" and his mate laughed his head off. The muggers had radically misjudged the area. Reminds me of what you wrote above. The same kind of consensual rules don't apply the farther you get away from the "nice" (i.e. middle class) bits of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I go to Stratford quite regularly one of my mates lives there. It is a very strange place, this juxtaposition of poverty and these blade runneresque towers jutting out into the skyline, alongside cranes. It's got a very haunting skyline. I often think they could shoot a Blade Runner movie there.

It's also a place where the Westfield Centre acts as a sort of social hub for local people. Which is probably a bit grim.
    Imagine how mortified you'd be to bump into me there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

In the golden grave with a pint of shipyard and you see me burst in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

"Hello Jack!"
    "I'm not Jack. I'm. .. uh, Kieran, Kieran McCloud"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Leo