Stratford - What's good?

luka

i think the branch on tramway avenue is still open. its good but water lane was much better.

luka

there was a thai place just up from the rex i used to like. theyve closed. eastway cycle track/nature reserve wasnt really stratford but i loved it and its gone. bow backs have gone. sewer banks have gone.

luka

dunno about wheelers? that was a funny little place. might still be there. late night drinks.

luka

but surrounding areas still got a lot of worthwhile things. high st north for indian food for example. leytonstone for algerian patissiers and drinkable espresso. wanstead flats/epping forest. the golden fleece in manor park.

luka

albert sq and the queen vic (since renamed) are in stratford. i went to maryland primary which is on albert sq pretty much. they made a documentary about it. neal francis was on it. he was the kid in primary school who was best at football and who all the girls liked.

luka

big shopping malls tend to suckthelife out of aplace. i havent seen it yet but i workin a westfield so i know what theyre like.

sufi

lala
the stratford centre is full of many many different lifeforms...
sad to hear that the chippy closed
image.php

interesting time to be round here as massive changes are happening - gonna be more interesting to see what's left in a year or 2

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
big shopping malls tend to suckthelife out of aplace. i havent seen it yet but i workin a westfield so i know what theyre like.

It's right next to the station, so I've seen it when I've gone to get the coach to Stansted a few times. Looks utterly hideous, but you could probably have guessed that.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
We went to see that film about Thatcher at Westfield there, we were really bombed and got followed round by security guards and told to take our hoodies down - it was when it was fucking freezing - and then we did loads of drugs in the cinema and shouted at the screen. It was fun. I don't recognise Stratford anymore, it's like a spaceship landed on the place.

luka

there was a good documentry on australian tv the other night about stratford and the olymipics.. had all the usual suspects, iain sinclair, will self, the groundkeeper at hackney marshes, a guy from clays lane, seb coe etc so i saw somefootage of it. a malls a mall innit really. im sure it has good useful shops in it, its just the way they leave everything outside desolate and public space beomes private space etc etc ad infinitum

IdleRich

IdleRich
It is weird. We got a train from Stratford Internatlonal a few months ago and it was a surreal experience because the mall wasn't open and nothing in the station (which is the size of a village) was open. It was just a vast airhanger of nothingness waiting to be activated by The Olympics - one of us was really late so we had to kick around for ages doing nothing - there was a space where you could park a jumbo jet and nothing in it except one guy with a small table selling coffee. When one of us dropped their coffee they had to send out for cloths to clean it up. We went and sat outside in the building site cos it was slightly more interesting.