spongebob - most important dubstep track of last five or so years?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Cockney Thug is my dubstep guilty pleasure. Also Coki tunes work so much better in the dance than other wobbly/jump-up tracks

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Cockney Thug is my dubstep guilty pleasure. Also Coki tunes work so much better in the dance than other wobbly/jump-up tracks

I told all my friends that I sold cockney thug after it being requested at every single house party I had for about 4 years - I couldn't bare to actually sell it though...

Local Authority

bitch city
I love how most of the youtube videos are rips fro the Caspa & Rusko Fabric CD.

Listening to again though and I reckon that could be mixed in with some really shit tech house.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
As shit as it is, Slimzee dropped Cockney Thug at FWD 10th birthday last year and I danced so fucking hard.

I think if a record makes you dance really fucking hard, then it isn't shit.

I dunno, correct me if I'm wrong on that one, but if it's a functional dance record, and you danced really hard, then it fulfils its purpose, therefore it isn't shit, eh?

It's just that you're embarrassed about having danced to it, and so you're saying it's shit to absolve yourself.

Which is just, y'know, not cool.

Cockney Thug is a great record. Deal with it.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
I think the thing is that tracks like Spongebob and Cockney Thug had a ridiculousness to them that Coki and Rusko were most likely aware of. The problem was when it all became very serious and (teenage) angsty. Like this:

images

That was what set the stage for where things are now, where dubstep to most people is a latter day form of nu-metal.

Local Authority

bitch city
I think if a record makes you dance really fucking hard, then it isn't shit.

I dunno, correct me if I'm wrong on that one, but if it's a functional dance record, and you danced really hard, then it fulfils its purpose, therefore it isn't shit, eh?

It's just that you're embarrassed about having danced to it, and so you're saying it's shit to absolve yourself.

Which is just, y'know, not cool.

Cockney Thug is a great record. Deal with it.

It's got a lot of energy and its got a really fun bassline and loads of fun noises, its shit for being nothing more than that.

I'm not embarrassed that I've danced to it, you just want me to be embarrassed so you can take a some sort of high ground because you genuinely enjoy dancing to it. You want to claim the enjoyment of dancing to cockney thug.

It's just something I would regard as good, I wouldn't listen to it through because I genuinely appreciate the song. Its just a fun song when you're fucked.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's got a lot of energy and its got a really fun bassline and loads of fun noises, its shit for being nothing more than that.

I'm not embarrassed that I've danced to it, you just want me to be embarrassed so you can take a some sort of high ground because you genuinely enjoy dancing to it. You want to claim the enjoyment of dancing to cockney thug.

It's just something I would regard as good, I wouldn't listen to it through because I genuinely appreciate the song. Its just a fun song when you're fucked.

No, I was just drunk when I posted, ignore me and apologies for any offence.

I have had some GREAT times bouncing about to that record though.

outraygeous

"When your spirit is floating down that tunnel towards the light, you know what's behind the light? It's not God, it's me. And I'm gonna kick your poncy soul all the way back down the tunnel till you choke on your own fucked up ribs. NOW, WAKE THE FUCK UP!"

its not even a massive wobbler or robot hitting the vinegar strokes, its a good tune.

Listening to it now.

unclerico

i like spongebob and i dont like brostep at all, so to be honest i cant really hear the connection although i can appreciate it may have had an impact that influenced the dubstep "scene" in a particular direction. its doesnt sound macho or aggressive to me - more weird and bouncy with a strange dubby undercurrent. also, i dont find the mid range noises grating, unlike the screeching sounds in most brostep tunes. it has more of a scooped sound where the biggest emphasis is still on the sub bass.

outraygeous

Think its just one of those 'I going to write this on a forum with minimal effort, I hope it dont get quoted and stick with me for life' so of statements

Thats just a guess. Forum posting can be long, most times.

Its like tapping up chicks online, you bring out the best bars for the buff ones. Guess talking about Cockney Thug is like tapping up the 3 times divorced 25 year old from Addington with 7 kids. You just aint really gonna dig too deep.

(I know the math is wrong)

joe.dfx

who knows...
was spongebob being played on dub before or after the smoking ban?

that was probably the biggest change (to an outsider at least.)

everything seemed to need to get aggier after the ban given the less smoked out everyone was and the more liquored up they were.

benjybars

village elder.
Spongebob first started getting played out in early-ish 07.. i remember it getting dropped at the JME birthday bash at FWD

unclerico

Have you heard it loud in a club (jus asking)?

yeah on the iration system - and it was very intense, but all i was saying is that it doesnt sound screechy or aggressive to me like a lot of brostep stuff does.

i like the triplets in the rhythms and synth parts too and the actual choice of sounds is very imaginative. i think its a really great tune anyway but i dont expect people to agree with me if its not their cup of tea

to me coki is someone who does their own thing in their own way and i don't agree that he's been churning out the same tune. instead i would argue that he does different permutations of a sound and then moves on. the results may be mixed but a their best his stuff is in a league of its own and i think if a compilation of his best stuff was put together the breadth and imagination of it would surprise a lot of his critics