Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dissensus Poorly Titled Spiritual Jazz Thread

hah wow. i got some listening to do. thanks for all these reccomendations

Random question. Years and years ago someone put a link to an absolutely killer kinda discordant spiritual jazz thing, (I think maybe Pharoah Sanders but maybe not) but the link disappeared and I've always wanted to hear the track again. Maybe the title had the word "colours" in it. Does that mean anything to anyone? Would be very grateful if someone could spot it for me.

yeah sufi did it. it was pharoah sanders with some morroccon fella. its amazing.

i love gania and gnawa generally, that must be incredible.

something not mentioned yet is late seventies walt dickerson, the vibraphone in his hands has a shimmering, transcendent quality, as spiritual as one can imagine and (maybe?) a good fit for this thread. i recommend his beautiful, cathartic trio recording to my son, and the solo disc shades of love, which is meditative, cosmic music of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    yeah sufi did it. it was pharoah sanders with some morroccon fella. its amazing.
    i must have downloaded that aswell, it was the track called Hamdouchi. Here you go
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sadps0iz5etx9sk

Genius! Thanks Luka and Benny. Just downloading now but I'm pretty sure that's it.

that track is great, need the album

Ok, here's some utubes - starts out pretty straight ahead, gets a bit funky, a bit soulful, then goes a bit further out. But nothing too crazy.

"that track is great, need the album"
    Yeah... but I get the feeling that it never came out on vinyl (which is probably the reason I never got it before). Can anyone tell me I'm wrong please?

This is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Can anyone tell me I'm wrong please?
    this one seems to be cd-only (and out of print), you'll probably not find the vinyl.

Can anybody quickly recommend some more albums in the vein of World Galaxy, Sextant, Thembi?

south african depths

In the old days I used to go and listen to jazz albums at the listening posts in the Virgin Megastore JAZZ ROOM on Oxford Street. Then I would go and buy the albums I liked at Ray’s Jazz Café in Foyles. (All of this has gone now.) This music would then be the soundtrack to the decadent seafood parties I used to host in my house. This was when I was at my most depraved: holding decadent seafood parties, drinking Bulgarian wine, watching Nazisploitation films, reading neoconservative tracts, and listening to jazz. They were dark times.