Running your own website

hucks

Your Message Here
Does anyone on here have their own website? Obviously there's the bloggers among you. How's that working out?

I kind of want one, but I've looked at wordpress/ blogger and they don't really do what I want. I'd like to be able to post more complicated visuals, eg google charts and what have you, but because of the way the CMS works on wordpress, you can't do that.

So. Does anyone here have experience of building their own from scratch? Or getting someone to do it for them?

D

droid

I kind of want one, but I've looked at wordpress/ blogger and they don't really do what I want. I'd like to be able to post more complicated visuals, eg google charts and what have you, but because of the way the CMS works on wordpress, you can't do that.

Wordpress can do pretty much anything. What exactly do you want to post?

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Wouldn't recommend building your own CMS if you are even pondering it as a question. A true geek with or without time and effort to spare would dive right in out of preference.

Picking the most suitable CMS and playing around is the route for mere mortals like ourselves. Agreed that it's hard to hit a dead end with Wordpress, and curious to know more about the insurmountable challenge that led to you looking elsewhere...

hucks

Your Message Here
What I want to do is graphs and charts and what have you. There are some good free ones that give you code to post into any html page but when you post the code in wordpress you just get a blank page. So eg in google charts you can do all sorts of jiggery and pokery and then post the code into your own CMS. I've tried doing it here but it hasn't worked, so here's the code with the first bracket taken off and the last one half removed.

script src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...preadsheets=spreadsheets&height=320&width=450">/script>

When I paste the code into the wordpress CMS it just gives me a blank page or prints the code which is kinda pointless. But when I post it into my work website's CMS it works fine. I've looked around on forums and whatnot and apparently it's a common enough problem, but the solutions are utterly incomprehensible to me.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Ah I think we might have been talking about different things. I was talking about the free blogging site Wordpress, not the software. I shall now investigate. This is all very interesting.

D

droid

Of course, sorry. .org, not .com. Most hosts offer it as a one click install these days. Make sure you run wp better security though. Malware is a bitch.

hucks

Your Message Here
Right. I have made some progress with this but have hit a wall. I think it's something to do with the theme in wordpress. Has anyone got any experience of designing themes, or know anyone who does?

D

droid

Yep, but if its wordpress.com site its tricky to edit the themes.

D

droid

Cool. Have you committed to a theme? Do you have a lot of customisations?