Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Film - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

not seen tree of life yet but i doubt it can be better than badlands or days of heaven. the best thing about the S&S polls are seeing the individual lists and seeing who broke away from The Canon. tarantino is always good for this.

was history of violence comic book? i just remember it as being a good though pretty straightforward thriller. eastern promises wasnt much better either. but id still watch either of those again over any of the last 3 batman films (i like tim burtons first one and batman forever more - they also just looked better - nolans gotham looks pedestrian, like any other american metropolis, its boringly normal and everyday, theres a complete absence of surrealism or fantasy). nolans batman films bore me with their over exposition and self importance. i also hate how its almost forbidden to think theyre shit. which is why i like when cronenberg says:
    Do you think the subject matter prohibits the elevated art form?
    DC: Absolutely. Anybody who works in the studio system has got 20 studio people sitting on his head at every moment, and they have no respect, and there's no…it doesn't matter how successful you've been. And obviously Nolan has been very successful. He's got a lot of power, relatively speaking. But he doesn't really have power.
    So that's a no.
    DC: I would say that's a no, you know. And the problem is you gotta… as I say, you can do some interesting, maybe unexpected things. And certainly, I've made the horror films and people say, "Can you make a horror film also an art film?" And I would say, "Yeah, I think you can." But a superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core. That has always been its appeal, and I think people who are saying, you know, "Dark Knight Rises" is, you know, supreme cinema art," I don't think they know what the f**k they're talking about.
    http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/robert...olis-interview
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 18-08-2012 at 09:56 AM.

A History of Violence was based on a "graphic novel" but maybe that's completely different to Cronenberg. Of course, The Dark Knight Returns have been described as one of the first graphic novels, even though it was originally published in monthly installments.

Ah well, probably doesn't matter. I think I just get annoyed when someone who's just filmed a DeLillo-novel talks about bad subject material. I really, really hate DeLillo, and I kinda doubt Cronenberg knows that much about literature, comic-books or otherwise.
    Cynicism VII: Niall Ferguson and Pankaj Mishra: The Centrifugue

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...reakers-review

new harmony korine film looks like it could be brilliant.

cinema figures in decline -
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...ocks-tom-shone

not really surprised tbh. its obviously just going to go the way of the music industry. shame. though ticket prices are extortionate.

I saw the latest Batman in the cinema and I totally agree. I could have handled how stupid it was and I could have handled its self-importance if it were good - but the way it was so stupid and self-important was too much. And you're right there was no real surrealness or interest to the backdrop.
    I'd like to see Cronenberg's Cosmopolis though. I like Delillo sometimes. Though not that book come to think of it.

When's the new Haneke coming out? To answer my own question: 16 November.

That'll be my one assured cinema trip this year. Really should make more effort to find out what's on.

Re the cinema ninjas - that's amazing but they'd be in real trouble in some other countries, where it seems not to be a problem at all to answer one's phone during a film. Which took some getting used to on my part.

which countries?

i think the new haneke is playing at the london film festival in october...

Mexico I remember there being a constant stream of people taking phone calls, for example. Very bizarre given my usual experience.

Might well try to get tickets in that case. Any Haneke film is a bit of an ordeal, but usually in a worthwhile way.

PT Anderson's new one, The Master, looks the business. As usual. I can't think of many oeuvres that beat the guy's who made: Hard Eight (a little-known classic!); Boogie Nights; Magnolia; There Will Be Blood; and even coaxed a half-decent performance out of Adam Sandler.

Even more interesting, his next project is said to be... a Thomas Pynchon adaptation! Inherent Vice, though. Not read it. Anyone?

Inherent Vice is Pynchon's weakest novel by some distance imo, but it's probably the only one that could realistically be turned into a film (it's pretty short, has a much more straightforward narrative etc). Could work better as a film maybe, i'm sure PT Anderson could do something good with it

Have you read Mason & Dixon? It sounds interesting although I doubt I'll get round to it, seeing as it's really prohibitively long.

I think The Crying of Lot 49 could make an interesting TV special. Gravity's Rainbow could be a Lord of the Rings-style movie trilogy. I don't think they're as 'unfilmable' as people claim, if you're willing to accept that much of the brilliance of the work -- its linguistic virtuosity -- will be lost when conveyed with moving pictures and sound, and not written words. But it would still be possible to portray the story and the characters pretty faithfully. I mean, that may not be worthwhile, but it would be possible. I think PT Anderson will make it worthwhile, although it's still a long way away.

I started reading Mason and Dixon and was about a hundred pages in and enjoying it a lot when I somehow lost it while drunk. Shame that, I'd like to know what happens but I got distracted by various other books and I dunno when I'm likely to get hold of another copy.

Mason & Dixon is my favourite Pynchon, I love that book. Again though I dunno how successful or worthwhile a film of it could be really

Inherent Vice is a kind of parody of the Raymond Chandler hard-boiled noirish detective story and it's much more of a genre-novel than anything else he's done, which is why it's easily the most immediately film-able of his stuff.

It could be good so long as whoever plays the main character, Doc Sportello, can pull off the 60s hippie pothead thing without being really annoying, something which the book failed to do imo...

tree of life is the comfortably the worst film ive ever seen. well, that and the cronenberg one about freud and jung. had to walk out of both. torturous. what films are you lot interested in seeing in that film festival? not that im inviting you out or anything. just curious.

Tree of Life was agonising.

Yo team, my other 1/2's getting bored of all my films being horror movies, giallos, various depressing subtitled films and other things (at least that's how she characterises it) so I'm looking for any recommendation on comedy, fun adventure films, feel good classics etc...thanks.

Started with the Indiana Jones 4 films. First one's a classic and then seem to get steadily worse as they progress. The 2nd one is really quite racist.