Bellwoods

and the transgender thing is... interesting

I think this may be getting misinterpreted (the FACT article kind of says what everyone seems to be thinking). We don't know anything about him really, so who knows, maybe this is a very personal subject for him. But it might just be his way of paying tribute to certain rave ideals... unity and all that...

Dance music has this reputation for being apolitical, so people often forget that a lot of early house music was quite socially and politically conscious - sometimes in very colourful ways.

said

Not feeling the new bits at all really. Thought the audio I heard last night was a hoax initially, so maybe that's coloured my perception of it.

But like, whatever about making tunes that are essays in the mimetic reconstruction of pirate radio, and that have a frailty and sweetness to them that's congruent with the primitivity and rawness of the hardcore, jungle and garage blaring out of passing cars tuned in to london pirate radio that were supposedly his original reference points, and whatever about that curious aesthetic / emotional nostalgia that he's always nailed, this is just pants.

"Rival Dealer" sound like that awful prog breaks crossover stuff from the very early 00's; would fit right into a Sasha / Zabiela / Hybrid / Way Out West / Deep Dish set from back then. In fact it reminds me of an old Alistair Whitehead / Dave Seaman mix cd I got free with Mixmag in like 97 or so, except recorded off a badly tuned radio. I do like the bits after about the 5:24 minute mark, the first half though, awful.

And one of the other tunes sounds like a Coldplay live dvd run through a load of guitar reverb pedals.

I mean, fine, if you take him as a musical historiographer then it's entirely consistent with what happened to mainstream superclubby 90's dance music in the end. But if you take him as someone whose early work was an almost Quixotic resistance to that trajectory of music becoming clean, polished, clubby and sacrificing vibes on teh altar of technique then what the hell is this?

Drawing the critical attention back to the swing of El-B's drums, to Steve Gurley's drums, at a time when garage was "the last secret in dance music" and while dubstep was creating a sonic context in which those drums would be able to reemerge was a heroic achievement. Being able to back that up with the conviction that jumps out of those early interviews with Blackdown is entirely another, and he'll have a very special place in my heart and in my record collection for those two things alone, but I really viscerally dislike that "Rival Dealers" thing on first listen.

Of all the genres that don't need critical reappraisal, trancy prog-house / nu-skool breaks isn't one of them. The clinicality of that sound just doesn't lend itself to Burialisation, nor indeed was the music itself ever (in my opinion) content-rich enough to lend itself to deconstruction in his style.

really interesting comments although i can't believe that prog house is the first thing that leaps out at you from rival dealer. maybe because i was too young to experience the horror of it first-hand i'm not getting the same vivid flashbacks. the breakbeat seemed like classic earlyish hardcore to me (apparently so, if its the exact same break in bombscare)

personally, while it's certainly not a perfectly realized work of art in the manner of his albums, i'm pretty awestruck by the ambition and strangeness of the combination of really arresting 'found' spoken word, the melange of all manner of cannibalized pop fragments, older burial stylings (the crackle, the classic drums in the midsection of rival dealer), nuum hallmarks we haven't seen in his work before (the huge bassline and drums of rival dealer)... i think viewing this as a continuation of his nostalgic genre retrospectives is misguided, this is something else entirely.

Anybody viewing this music as critical reappraisal of genres past or historiography is missing a lot out

And obviously I can't say but the reading of the wachowski thing as being a come out is a maybe a bit too literal too, that part of the speech ties in with the forest Whitaker "new reality.." Parts sampled before and his thing about the sadness of people being afraid to be true to themselves. He's also a big film fan..

What about that pitched down "don't be afraid..." In come down to us. Strange

datwun

I dunno, it's not just those 'be yourself' bits, but a specific reference, a quote from a speech saying "I am transgender". It's obviously a evocative term in Burial's case because his music is so much based around warping vocals so that the gender gets flipped or muddled. But it's also much more specific language than any other way of talking about being true to yourself. Either way it's a very brave move!

boo

think the "transgendered" bit is supposed to be ambiguous, i reckon it could be heard as "transcended" or "transcendent"

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fantastic, a Burial record that's again genuinely surprising.

You've got to admit it, JK Rowling is bloody talented.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Is it a bid sad that I'm waiting until I get the vinyl to listen to these tunes? Because that's what I'm doing

CrowleyHead

I like the EP a lot, right until the weird ambient bit that sounds one of those new age rave records that would come in at the end of early 90s action movies to show the euphoric end of pain? Yeah, Burial, I know you're that age man, but come the fuck on.

I don't want to talk about the EP.

wise

bare BARE BONES
it's all gone a bit ghost house hasn't it

Maryanne Hobbs described it as an 'anti-bullying ep' on 6 music....

wise

bare BARE BONES
http://pitchfork.com/news/53347-burial-shares-message-about-rival-dealer-ep/

“I put my heart into the new EP, I hope someone likes it. I wanted the tunes to be anti-bullying tunes that could maybe help someone to believe in themselves, to not be afraid, and to not give up, and to know that someone out there cares and is looking out for them. So it's like an angel's spell to protect them against the unkind people, the dark times, and the self-doubts.”

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
http://pitchfork.com/news/53347-burial-shares-message-about-rival-dealer-ep/

“I put my heart into the new EP, I hope someone likes it. I wanted the tunes to be anti-bullying tunes that could maybe help someone to believe in themselves, to not be afraid, and to not give up, and to know that someone out there cares and is looking out for them. So it's like an angel's spell to protect them against the unkind people, the dark times, and the self-doubts.”

That's a sweet message (and it really feels like he put his heart into it this time), but listening to the way Mary-Anne Hobbs read it made me want to hide somewhere insulated from all sound.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He thinks his music is an angel's spell.

original.gif

is that surprising given how it sounds, his intention and previous tune names and sampling? the earnestness is refreshing