luka

6 years since his debut and 5 since untrue how do people reckon they have held up?

I still love a few tracks but I don't really hold them in as high regard as I used too.

I assumed at the time that years on that they would still sound fresh in a similar fashion to how the Illmatic does for me - but actually they sound a little dated now.

Is it because of the huge amounts of copy-cat productions that have followed or simply that they were very "of time" and never had real staying power. I'm leaning to the latter right now but i'm not sure how much effect the VVVs and Synkros of this world have had.

I always read this as pandaetc, all these years....

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Corpsey, a poster to Dubstepforum, writes, “No way this album’s not going to blow. My mates who aren’t into dubstep [and] garage at all think it’s great. Guess it’s the vocals that grab people.” This comment sums up the general momentum behind Untrue, an album that’s well worth the hype.

Back then I had so much respect.

version

It's weird. Kind of naff, but I ended up listening to it three times. It's got a vibe to it. There's something poignant about the naffness too, as though he's struggling to keep the flame alive as we move further and further from the stuff he's referencing - even the ghosts and memories are fading now. It's just getting thinner and thinner.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's weird. Kind of naff, but I ended up listening to it three times. It's got a vibe to it. There's something poignant about the naffness too, as though he's struggling to keep the flame alive as we move further and further from the stuff he's referencing - even the ghosts and memories are fading now. It's just getting thinner and thinner.

It's not though is it. Jungle is stronger than it was in 2006.

What a mess.

He achieved perfection with Archangel and since then he's been pointless.

I dont agree but I can sympathise with you thinking its a mess. Because he is capable of rhythmic tension and precision, thinking of pirates, wounder, southern comfort, gutted off the first album. sometimes the sketchier ramshackle breaks feel a bit pinned on

all the best bits since untrue have been the ambient love story bits tucked between attempts at rave, and some of them even surpass untrue. come down to us, nightmarket, middle bits of truant, end of rival dealer

luka

i was going to talk about it on the 90s thread but but I got really drunk really quickly and had to abandon my plans

luka

what you're hearing and feeling melancholy about is faith in a future enabled by technology

and a sincere and failed attempt at articulation of this utopia, the extension of human emotion and desire through technology. and 'the reach' is important. the feeling that there is some strain, something that isnt full expressed and the reason it isnt fully expressed is due to limits in technology to render these feelings. there is a tension between the desire to articulate a vision and the tools available

but then post 90s, with internet, we are somewhat subsumed by the technology, the options, the canon, and the algorithmic precision, what we hear after this threshold is crossed is the human not only contained and codified but also untethered and confused, overwhelmed, lost and only existing spectrally or in parody within technology

luka

theres different strands through which I would probably want to pick apart. Bedroom techno is not what burial I referencing is it.